eq mode has compression effect applied?

Kenny Lam

Hi Team , I found that the dynamic compression kicks in when I applied some eq preset that has bass boosted such as "Dance" when playing heavy bass song such as blackpink. I set the ultra at fixed volume mode in volume set to max>100 and output thru coaxial output. When heavy bass come from the song, I find that the volume of the that low frequency decrease quite obviously . Is that normal?
And I learnt that the eq can be applied on separate L R channel on the official screencap , however I cant find any of that of mine. Am I missing something?
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 10.45.22 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 10.45.22 AM.png
    517.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Hi Team , I found that the dynamic compression kicks in when I applied some eq preset that has bass boosted such as "Dance" when playing heavy bass song such as blackpink. I set the ultra at fixed volume mode in volume set to max>100 and output thru coaxial output. When heavy bass come from the song, I find that the volume of the that low frequency decrease quite obviously . Is that normal?
And I learnt that the eq can be applied on separate L R channel on the official screencap , however I cant find any of that of mine. Am I missing something?
Thanks
If you have volume set to 100 and then boost the bass the signal will clip. Try reducing the volume setting to gain some headroom.

Thanks
The separate L/R channel is for PEQ I believe, not EQ, and may still be only in beta versions of the app

Last edited:
Well, as I said, it may currently only be in beta versions of the app, so you may have to wait till there’s a public release.

Hello,
I also have a dilemma with the topic of dynamics compression.
I've read posts where when using an equalizer, e.g. PEQ, they advise reducing the overall volume by a positive dB value.
I have officially written to WiiM support. They replied that there are mechanisms used that do not cause distortions and do not affect the dynamics at GAIN 100%.
I don't know the details.
After what you wrote, I still have doubts.
Personally, I would like it to work automatically, because lowering the volume requires a larger boost further on the amplifier.

Please,
Can someone from WiiM support explain this mechanism a little and close the topic forever?

Last edited:
I am now using auto eq and limit the gain to 3 dB which I think the more dB gain, the more stress to the amplifier which will lead to distortion of your amplifier . And I reduce the output level to 94. Then everything is fine ,the room correction result a lot more natural
And never has the compression problem

Your approach is consistent with everything I have read so far, especially on this forum.
Each 5% reduction in overall volume is 3dB (1% = 0.6dB).
This 3dB doubles the power of the amplifier.
Until WiiM support comments on the operation of the security mechanism I wrote about”, I will have the same settings.
Ideally, the software would self-correct GAIN in relation to the PEQ settings (unless there are other, better ways to solve the problem of compression, distortion and signal clipping).

Back