Explain the Pre-gain feature please

Fralle

Hi,

Is this basically just a way to reduce volume difference between say phono input and ethernet. Are there any drawbacks of using it? What would a good practice be to start?! Would it be better for example to lower ethernet or raise the phono and line input.

Anyone who uses it? If so it would be helpful if your shared how you have made the settings.

It's there to get the EQ under control. By lowering the overall volume before EQing, you can raise frequencies without distortion.

OK, maybe wait for a real answer...
Actually there's not much more to add.

But since I already used room correction the signal is already altered right?
Exactly. Go ahead and start by leveling low analogue source volume. For digital sources it's safer to just apply negative gain.

But some digital sources might never reach 0 dBFS. These could be boosted as well.

I use different EQs per source (Bluetooth is TV), managing them with PreGain, then I use the MaxVolume to protect my system from any mistakes, since I got the WiiM connected to the 240W monos directly.

I use different EQs per source (Bluetooth is TV), managing them with PreGain, then I use the MaxVolume to protect my system from any mistakes, since I got the WiiM connected to the 240W monos directly.
In that case it makes sense then. I just use room correction which is the same for all sources.

In that case it makes sense then. I just use room correction which is the same for all sources.
I use room correction as well. From what I know, all it does is to create EQ presets automatically. After saving them, you can apply them to each source. Which means I "correct" (it's not real DRC, after all) each input differently. I want less bass for the video streams, for example.

Back