Extended app display functionality

Steve Woodhouse

Major Contributor
Despite initially not being too bothered about having a display on the Ultra, having seen the pictures online, I’m warming to it. I’m especially interested in the idea that future updates may bring VU meters, etc.

For a future request, would it be possible to take the look of the Ultra’s display, and add that to the app, and/or separate to the app, but on an external device.

I’ll try to explain. Whilst most of us will perform the main, fiddly controls on our phones, having a tablet on a stand next to our WiiM (whatever model) showing VU meters, artwork, information, etc., as on the Ultra’s display, would be a nice touch.

Whether that involves adding these displays to the app, or having an add-on (a second app?) which replicates the Ultra’s display, only on a third party screen, would be great.

I’m sure my Ultra’s 3.5” display will look great when it arrives. I’m equally sure that a mirror of it on my 10” tablet would look even better.

And guess what - here’s the real bonus for everyone - WiiM, you don’t have to pay for the screen. And we already have it. And the teccy stuff, you’ve already done it. Just take the control/display software from the Ultra’s screen, and put it in a ‘WiiM Display’ app.

Not everyone could or would use it, but I bet a significant number of us would.

Why not just run a second copy of the WiiM Home app on another (low cost) tablet and use that purely as a display/mirror of your main app?

Edit: don’t think that would mimic the vu meter, but would do for the rest

Why not just run a second copy of the WiiM Home app on another (low cost) tablet and use that purely as a display/mirror of your main app?

Edit: don’t think that would mimic the vu meter, but would do for the rest

No, I don’t think it does.

Look at the pics WiiM have others have posted of the Ultra’s screen.

The ‘now playing album art’ showing nothing but that, or showing just that plus a bit of information. It appears far simpler and less cluttered.

And yes, VU meters, spectral analyser display, some sort of animated, screw-saver type display, all sorts of things which can and could show in the Ultra’s display, but which currently don’t show in the app.

Of course, if you’re saying let’s put all that on the app, then follow your suggestion, yes that’d be just as good, and was a solution implicit in my post.

For those who like or even do not want to live without this VU meters. Why not buying a device with it on board?

Because putting it in an app means you get it for free. As, indeed, WiiM Ultra owners will be getting.

Think of it like this. Imagine with the Ultra, you could simply screen share what’s on the Ultra’s display.

Now let’s expand that.

Let’s say you could retrospectively add an Ultra-style display to your other WiiM streamer, as long as you had your own display (tablet, phone).

Last edited:
All fine, I do not want to start a discussion how such displays make sense. If you simply like it it is reason enough. My mantra: What you like is good for sound. But so many of this "VU" meters are still fake, but as said if you love to have it its reason enough.
Have them too, just looking on it 😉

IMG_3365.jpeg

All fine, I do not want to start a discussion how such displays make sense. If you simply like it it is reason enough. My mantra: What you like is good for sound. But so many of this "VU" meters are still fake, but as said if you love to have it its reason enough.
Have them too, just looking on it 😉

View attachment 8037

Agreed. But the bottom line is, there are lots of people out there who like ‘em.

And I’d love to see this on my 10” tablet.

IMG_1967.jpeg

Agreed. But the bottom line is, there are lots of people out there who like ‘em.

And I’d love to see this on my 10” tablet.

View attachment 8038
As I said, everything, no, most of what you write is right 😉
Most likely it has to do with my listening practice. I do not like and do not use "random playlists" or internet radio stations. I like recommendations which I get from friends, magazines (or Roon). But I always know what is actual playing. Most of the time I see the case of the CD or the cover of an LP playing. And even when I stream from Qobuz I know what I've ordered. May be it is generation related. And I cross fingers all your wishes will come true!

Hi,

Reading along for a while but created an account just for such feature request.
I noticed the YouTube video from Steve Willenborg, VP of Sales for WiiM at T.H.E. Show mentioning that WiiM is having a look at feature requests for upcoming new device. Let's hope this can get included.

Let's try to structure it a bit more.

Is there a request?
Trying to just have a very quick look, others might be able to find even more of such requests:
A voted feature request functionality on a forum has one major downside, people don't always search so votes get "scattered". Seeing multiple posts coming back on the same topic, seeing GitHub projects etc seems to me there is at least demand here.

What is the request about
Give people the ability to have a STANDARD feature to have a "Display/Playing Now" in whichever variation they like.
I see tons of variations out: some want to have it on a big screen (tv) in their living room. Others want to have a mini display for near-field/desktop listening. Others re-use an old tablet to add a visual dimension to their listening room/rack setup. Give customers the option to setup their "Display/Playing Now" how they prefer it.

Behind the technical request, this is all about the "feel of music" by adding another visual dimension (you must believe in this, if not, why the WiiM Ultra screen)
  • Why people look at a vinyl record or cd case? In the current age of streaming and always online/nothing concrete, this is becoming a lifestyle item that sells
  • It allows for people to talk and bond over music. My wife asking me "which band/song is this"? Visitors pulled to the experience etc
I'm a Plex user personally. Roon has a similar functionality already: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/displays#Using_Chromecast_as_a_Display. It makes me doubt between Roon and Plex even if the lifetime subscription is 7 times the price. However the value proposition for WiiM could be far greater as you can offer the functionality to multi-app users: you can bring a consistent solution into the world of WiiM users streaming through any of your supported services (Spotify, Tidal, Roon, all others and hopefully soon Plexamp).

I do see the advice given in the thread that there are open source/GitHub projects, it is great people are trying to help but in all honesty it isn't the answer to this question and it seems to be a discussion killer to put the feature hopefully on a roadmap. If people need to start playing with a dedicated Pi or adjust own software then it is not a WiiM value proposition. Even more so, people who want to start messing with a Pi and have the capabilities to set it up might then just as well go for a headless streamer setup (Plex Headless, Ropieee XL...).

But why isn't the WiiM Ultra screen enough for you
I don't think I can explain this better then what Darko recently posted:

Interesting points here:
  • Yes, there is clearly a market for a WiiM Ultra with a screen (Eversolo DMP, FiiO...). This is not a request to do away with the screen and I do expect the WiiM Ultra to be a succes. WiiM might have products coming up in the future with or without screen and in both cases imo, this extra "extended" screen display is a value proposition. Darko's poll (see above page) however also clearly shows the audience for people who do not want a screen, or want it bigger or smaller or away from the electronics from the streamer etc..
  • Darko explains the limitations on a (small) touch screen sitting somewhere away from sweet-spot listening position very well (can we read it, why should we get up from our comfy position to use it...). I understand this is personal, everybody will use it differently.
  • Darko's poll (see above page) shows the presence of a TV in close proximity to a lot of listening positions.

More "specific requirements"
  • This thread requested a "casting" functionality. There will be an audience for it. Personally I would more prefer a "hdmi out" functionality. There will be a portion of the target audience who can live with both/either. I believe you have smart people who can make the best design option.
  • It should become a standard feature on upcoming products both with and without build-in screens.
  • Whichever options to show on the WiiM Ultra screen should be available on the extended display. Let limitations not stop a MVP. Most people are likely looking for either (1) full Album Art or (2) partial Album Art with basic info (song title, album title, track progress/timing, audio source, audio quality... (both of which you have in your current WiiM Ultra display).
  • Through the app, you can allow management of the screen(s):
    • Basic (this could be a MVP if other options are more expensive)
      • Duplicate screens: show the same on both external screen and build-in screen.
    • Intermediate (seems like the correct approach):
      • Able to select different content on both external screen and build-in screen.
      • Able to turn off each screen individually
    • Advanced (optionally, I understand you are fighting for resources on features):
      • Able to select based on selected inputs/outputs what is shown on which screen, which screen is turned off etc
  • (Optional) Personally something I could live without but some would love it. For touchscreen sensitive external displays, add possibility to control the system from the external display (just copy the functionalities like for the WiiM Ultra touch screen).
  • (Non-MVP) Have some options in regards to screensaver/when not playing.
    • Whatever you do with the WiiM Ultra screen can be a MVP: so likely basic time...
    • Coolest implementation of GitHub project I have seen so far was that the screensaver would collect album art of the last X played albums/songs and make a randomized collage out of it. Effectively showing off to your visitors/family the type of music you are into. A great conversation starter for the digital music streamer. See it as the alternative of a friend coming over and looking at your vinyl or cd collection which you so proudly displayed somewhere.
    • (Optional) Open up some API and let community driven ideas come up.

I agree.

People like seeing artwork, well must do, or at the very least a large minority.

So give them what they want, how they want it.

Bottom line, can it really be that difficult, given they have it in the Ultra?

Back