Galaxy Tab, etc, for dedicated display recommendations please:)

I have the Nook version of the Tab S2 SM-T710 and not able to determine if the Andriod update is applicable but most likely so.
Also it seems there are ways to go all the way up to Android 12 but more complicated and I just need 7.0 for the WiiM Pro Plus.

1) a link to a clear and more precise update to follow would be greatly appreciated

2) what version is best to go with, just stick with 7.0 considering this unit will only be used to control the streamer?

3) still plan to use a wired connection to the ethernet switch for the streamer and the Tab, hope that works out, no WiFi is used in our home.

Edit:
Instead of just searching and finding random and sometimes conflicting info on youtub, etc....I am going to check places like androidcentral, etc.
(So far that has been pretty worthless time wasted, will keep looking....)

Last edited:
Also looking into a custom ROM, best place to find the best one to fit my needs would be greatly appreciated if you have a good recommendation.

And, how to determine if the WIIM app will work on it.

Thanks, I am searching but still not happy with the results I am finding.

The last officially supported Android version for the Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 (SM-T719) is 7.0 on which WiiM Home currently runs without issue.

Installing a custom ROM using Lineage OS V17 can upgrade it to Android 10, see here for more info: Link

I have not tested this and previous experience with Lineage OS installs on other devices haven't been entirely satisfactory.

Although step by step instructions are provided in the link, you do need a reasonable degree of IT competency and it is quite possible to terminally brick your tablet.

Equally there is no guarantee that WiiM Home will function properly even if the OS upgrade is successful.

Thank you very much. I would rather not go the custom ROM route anyway and only need 7.0, especially since you know it works on it.

I was trying to get an account setup on XDA but it seems it either does not like Firefox or a secure email account, or both.

I have looked for the 7.0 upgrade for the Tab S2 SM-T710 but have not found it, please let me know where to look if you can, please:)
I am in the US which seems important to this issue as far as I can find out.

I am far from an IT expert, not really a novice even, all my higher end computer knowledge is from the dark ages like DOS, even some machine language hexadecimal, etc....in computing though I can usually figure stuff out, this I just get a headache, not fun at all.

Thanks again!
Rick

Last edited:
I'm using a Kindle Fire HD 8 Plus with the Wiim Home app pinned in landscape mode. Works well enough, but would be better if the app natively supported landscape mode.

I use a Galaxy Tab S2 8" as my controller/display for WiiM Home. It has a far better display than the current generation of Samsung 8" Tabs and is the perfect size for the purpose. Live in hope that WiiM will eventually implement the long promised landscape mode for Android (how hard can it be?)

View attachment 3794
I have the Tab S2 9.7 from 2017 and I use it for Wiim app and a few others. The screen is beautiful and I just can't part with it.

Still on original battery and replacements are available to DIY.

Just started using a mint condition A7 10” as my streaming source device. Works just fine apart from no landscape mode.

I love the Wiim Pro Plus so far and started a thread about using an Android device without any WiFi turned on and received a great suggestion of using a Ethernet to USB adapter and plugging it into the Ethernet switch, which I plan to do unless something else turns out better.

I want to spend $100+- to get a used Tab, probably 6" so it can sit on top and look right together but will consider a bit bigger. Galaxy tabs come in A and S versions, some very low cost, I just want a nice clean display and ability to load all my CDs a SSD, micro SD(s), etc(mostly I stream on Qobuz) and operate the WiiM with the Tab. Since I have had Galaxy phones and my wife has used Tabs for many years I want to stick with one but just do not need a new one.

If there is something truly better and I am not into anything Apple, do let me know but the minimal version of a 6, 7 or possibly 8" tab, 6" would look best horizontally on top of the WiiM, 8" would look best vertically e ink tablet, your recommendation would really help.
Rick
Hello. I am playing around with some ideas to replace my aging "stand-alone" GPS unit with an Android Tablet instead.

I've searched/read some previous discussion threads along this line, but they seem to lean towards Apple iPads but my preference is for Android.

The bike is used for touring, not rallying and will spend 99% of its time on tarred roads, if that makes any difference.

I was wondering if anyone who has gone down this pathway already would have any recommendations/suggestions for an Android unit.

Finally got around to getting my Tab S2 updated to Android 7.0. I kept searching and being led to custom solutions that were geared more for the latest versions of Android which I just do not need and what seemed a lot of trouble to deal with. The Samsung release was never done for the US market and I was led to believe would not work......On SamFw.com I found just what I needed, pretty simple instructions, last (use the highest listed SINGLE file) and Odin3 to install it. I also used Samsung Smart Switch to do a backup before I stated. The whole process did not take long at all and worked the first time, now I have 7.0 and then loaded and ran right away WiimHome.

Next I need to get it setup to just control my Pro Plus in a wired configuration through my network, hope not to much "fun" :)

Finally got around to getting my Tab S2 updated to Android 7.0. I kept searching and being led to custom solutions that were geared more for the latest versions of Android which I just do not need and what seemed a lot of trouble to deal with. The Samsung release was never done for the US market and I was led to believe would not work......On SamFw.com I found just what I needed industrial Android tablet, pretty simple instructions, last (use the highest listed SINGLE file) and Odin3 to install it. I also used Samsung Smart Switch to do a backup before I stated. The whole process did not take long at all and worked the first time, now I have 7.0 and then loaded and ran right away WiimHome.

Next I need to get it setup to just control my Pro Plus in a wired configuration through my network, hope not to much "fun" :)
thank you so much for your suggestion

ccs-digital recommended the S2 as it has a very high resolution screen and it does look great and more than enough power to do all I need. Far bigger than built in screens on the higher end streamers which are fixed in place, this I can aim as needed and easy to replace if it ever dies. Now they are even cheaper on Ebay where I found mine, as low as $45 from a reputable source. I also bought a great little stand for just $8 that looks dang good with it.

Back