Input selection or indicator

detach8

I have trouble trying to switch input on my WiiM Amp - I have it on my desk connected to my PC and Mac, where I switch between Line In, Optical and sometimes also streaming (Wifi). The use of the remote to switch input is not intuitive because there's no clear indicator of the current active input. Also, I can't switch input without the remote, which I thought would be something important for an amplifier.

Suggestions:
1. Allow user to customize the function of PLAY button to switch input, play/pause, or do other things
2. Audio feedback when input changed ("Line in selected", "Wifi streaming selected", "Bluetooth selected") and allow user to disable this audio feedback via the app

For future considerations for next generation of WiiM Amp:
1. Consider an input source indicator light on the front panel
2. Consider a physical button to allow switching input

I have trouble trying to switch input on my WiiM Amp - I have it on my desk connected to my PC and Mac, where I switch between Line In, Optical and sometimes also streaming (Wifi). The use of the remote to switch input is not intuitive because there's no clear indicator of the current active input. Also, I can't switch input without the remote, which I thought would be something important for an amplifier.

Suggestions:
1. Allow user to customize the function of PLAY button to switch input, play/pause, or do other things
2. Audio feedback when input changed ("Line in selected", "Wifi streaming selected", "Bluetooth selected") and allow user to disable this audio feedback via the app

For future considerations for next generation of WiiM Amp:
1. Consider an input source indicator light on the front panel
2. Consider a physical button to allow switching input
I agree with you. There is an input source indicator light on the front panel but unless you know which colour corresponds to which input it is fairly useless. You can try using the automatic detection of Line In and Optical inputs to see if that works for you. The amp will.always switch to WiFi if you start streaming so that is one less input to worry about.

is it really that hard to change the input and see what colour is shown and remember that??
Yes, and @slartibartfast is correct, there are two greens, and sometimes when you press and you see green for some reason it jumps away to orange. I just don't know what happened there, and I don't know what is orange or what it means. It's genuine product feedback. Most amps have a clear indicator of the input source.

Yes, and @slartibartfast is correct, there are two greens, and sometimes when you press and you see green for some reason it jumps away to orange. I just don't know what happened there, and I don't know what is orange or what it means. It's genuine product feedback. Most amps have a clear indicator of the input source.
I think orange is Optical. It's one of the inputs I use.

So there are two greens and two oranges, excellent 😀

That's just because the LED used is just green + red. there's only 3 colors that can be derived from the two LEDs.

That's just because the LED used is just green + red. there's only 3 colors that can be derived from the two LEDs.
Well there is also white. If you can't tell which input is selected it isn't really fit for purpose.

Well there is also white. If you can't tell which input is selected it isn't really fit for purpose.
While it’s not ideal. I think WiiM have done the best they can with the limitations, at least when i bought mine there was no such feature / enhancement, just had to do it via the App. But it’s not so difficult to cycle through i use the remote everyday to select - White-(Wi-Fi) then Green-Red-Green-Red (optical) back to White. Also when I select Optical if there is a Source Signal Present the Volume LEDs also light up to the preset level.

While it’s not ideal. I think WiiM have done the best they can with the limitations, at least when i bought mine there was no such feature / enhancement, just had to do it via the App. But it’s not so difficult to cycle through i use the remote everyday to select - White-(Wi-Fi) then Green-Red-Green-Red (optical) back to White. Also when I select Optical if there is a Source Signal Present the Volume LEDs also light up to the preset level.
It would be better if you could disable unused inputs so the remote only cycled through the enabled inputs.

I also got used to the actual way of switching the inputs but maybe an idea would be to temporarily use the volume LEDs to light up only one of the 6 LEDS at a time corresponding to the actual selected input (while cycling through the inputs).
It is of course redundant with the RGB source indicator LED (status LED) but it would maybe make easier to distinguish the sources.
Just an idea ...

Last edited:
Back