Integrating WiiM Amp with Outside Speakers and Outdoor TV

hawki16

I have a WiiM Amp, a pair of Definitive Technology AW6500 outdoor speakers, and a Hisense U8 (65U8N) TV. I would like to integrate all components together under our 12x20 pergola. Is there a weatherproof component (vented) box I could use in order to keep the amp protected and mounted outside? Or can I mount the amp in a cabinet inside my house? If mounted inside, the amp would be approximately 15 feet away from the speakers and 25 feet from the TV. Thoughts? Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James M

I have a WiiM Amp, a pair of Definitive Technology AW6500 outdoor speakers, and a Hisense U8 (65U8N) TV. I would like to integrate all components together under our 12x20 pergola. Is there a weatherproof component (vented) box I could use in order to keep the amp protected and mounted outside? Or can I mount the amp in a cabinet inside my house? If mounted inside, the amp would be approximately 15 feet away from the speakers and 25 feet from the TV. Thoughts? Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James M
Welcome.

I can't see those distances being an issue if the amp is inside, assuming you have a way to run the wires.
5m for speaker cables is no issue, and I regularly use a 10m hdmi cable from a laptop to a tv with no problems.

I haven't tried this, but there are inexpensive outdoor vented electrical boxes with a tray like this which aren't terrible for US$130 / £186.14. I There's a capped portal hole in the bottom that could run cabling out. Personally, I wouldn't be able to do this since we live by the ocean, so salt moisture and algae are always present.

View attachment 9242
That's a convection oven / humidor. Sensitive electronics are much happier in a climate controlled environment.

That's a convection oven / humidor. Sensitive electronics are much happier in a climate controlled environment.
That's a valid point. Do you have any suggestions on how we might consider an outdoor alternative?

It depends on @hawki16 's needs and his particular physical layout and his local climate. Pergolas come in lots of configurations - with sailcloth, with building shadowing, some even have a framed wall.

I've had some experience running NUCs in outdoor settings and they can tolerate a fair amount of heat load. WiiM devices aren't much different to a NUC running a heavy software load.

Assuming it's shaded like the TV under the pergola, how much convection does a WiiM amp need? The box is vented and can shed some heat load by its design. To shed addtional heat load, a USB fan can be added since the WiiM amp provides power on its USB port. You'll note the mounting bracket for a fan in the picture.

That's a valid point. Do you have any suggestions on how we might consider an outdoor alternative?
My advice is to not consider it.
Unless a device is designed to commercial or industrial grade specifications, it is unlikely to fulfill its normal life expectancy.

My advice is to not consider it.
Unless a device is designed to commercial or industrial grade specifications, it is unlikely to fulfill its normal life expectancy.
Good luck finding an industrial grade audio streamer. These WiiM devices are cheap and cheerful.

We run a cheap TV, Bose soundbar a variety of Bluetooth speakers around the pool deck and pool house for the spring, summer and fall without issues. An obvious thing to avoid is direct sunlight where on our back deck it can reach 45C/115F easily on a hot day. Similarly, we put all the toys away for the winter since consumer electronics don't do well below freezing 0C/32F. We're well past 10 seasons and have only lots a Bose speaker to a heavy rainstorm and switched to waterproof Tribit Stormboxes instead.

A poster from Texas is giving a disposable WiiM mini a go in Texas heat.

I have my WiiM Amp outside in a screened in porch with two speakers and a Roku TV (TCL). So far no weird issues out here in Maryland even when the heat was like 100 degrees outside.

Honestly, I would just velcro this guy to the back of the TV. For me I have it just sitting out there but everything is "mostly" protected from the rain and direct sunlight.

Good luck finding an industrial grade audio streamer. These WiiM devices are cheap and cheerful.

We run a cheap TV, Bose soundbar a variety of Bluetooth speakers around the pool deck and pool house for the spring, summer and fall without issues. An obvious thing to avoid is direct sunlight where on our back deck it can reach 45C/115F easily on a hot day. Similarly, we put all the toys away for the winter since consumer electronics don't do well below freezing 0C/32F. We're well past 10 seasons and have only lots a Bose speaker to a heavy rainstorm and switched to waterproof Tribit Stormboxes instead.

A poster from Texas is giving a disposable WiiM mini a go in Texas heat.

Thanks,
James M
Hello Hawki16. I have a Wiim mini, a cheap Douk amp and a power supply in a waterproof enclosure on my back patio by the pool. I tucked it under a counter ledge for my Outdoor kitchen and have grommets protecting the power and speaker cables. Sound is delivered via some old Klipsch outdoor speakers. The enclosure has no vents. We use it several hours a day Saturday and Sunday as we attempt to escape the brutal Texas heat in the pool with a few beers.

The setup works fine. I would like a better amp. I have it all hooked up to an outdoor Alexa controlled outlet. When it is not in use, I power everything down

If I was in your shoes, I would consider a Wiim amp, with an HDMI eArc connection to the Hisense TV. Find an enclosure on Amazon and connect the Wiim Amp to a smart outdoor surge protector. When it is off for a while, you may have to do firmware updates when you power it up.

Back