Jack 3.5

Bosie

Hello! Now I have the mini and it's connected to my Denon analogic ampli with a jack 3,5. Can I do the same with the pro? The jack in the Wiim pro and the RCA in the ampli? Thanks!

Hello! Now I have the mini and it's connected to my Denon analogic ampli with a jack 3,5. Can I do the same with the pro? The jack in the Wiim pro and the RCA in the ampli? Thanks!
No, Pro has RCA analog outputs. Which is much better option than minijack.

Not much in the fora on the aux out (line out, when at 2 volts). I had thought this export route was inferior to either spdif or coax out, but on setup for the Pro, it seems that bit-perfect can also be achieved via line out. If so, is it also true of the Mini? Mine reports, using line out, 24/192 to an old Sherwood R8090 I had in storage. Can this be so, or is the app merely reporting the source's input quality? (My Sherwood does not trigger my powered subwoofer using an optical input, so I seem to prefer the line out route. Should I?)

Aux / rca out, are analog outputs - bit perfect does not apply here. The voltage of the aux out is, essentially, how 'loud' it is, 2v being quite standard as an input on most equipment.
As for being inferior, that's more to do with whether you are happy with the dac in the wiim, and the analog output it produces, or prefer to send a digital out from the wiim to an external dac 'cos you like that dac's analog output more.
The app will show the source material's details. You could set the wiim up so the max digital output was 44 / 16, the app will still show the source details.

Last edited:
Thank you. I am still left with a couple of unresolved questions. First, what is the maximum quality of the line (analog) output? Second, then going into my avr, the analog out put by-passes the avr's DAC, I presume? But with with a digital exit from the puck, the signal finally emerges from my receiver's internal DAC to the speakers. Is it not probably the case that the Mini's DAC is superior to the old Sherwood's; so that by using the line out, I still have a better signal to the speakers, together with bringing my subwoofer to the show. Or should I just find another retired avr (I've got a couple more) to see if either will allow the sub to work together with an optical signal from the puck? (I am 79, so I may not be able to tell the difference between any two possible configurations.) (Bragging: I also have an old Fisher with a "Dynamic Noise Suppressor," but that's merely a monophonic rig.)

"what is the maximum quality of the line (analog) output?"
It's analog - it doesn't have a maximum quality as such.
The wiim will take anything sent to it up to 192/24 and convert it to analog.

"the analog out put by-passes the avr's DAC, I presume?"
Yes. You are sending an analog signal into the avr.

"with a digital exit from the puck..."
Digital into avr will mean the avr's dac is used, yes.

"Mini's DAC is superior to the old Sherwood's"
You might hope than the mini dac, being newer, and described as of audiophile quality, would be superior.
However, only your ears can decide which sound you prefer.
Note than the analog cable you're using from the wiim to avr may have an impact on the sound too.

Summary - if you're happy with the sound from the wiim analog out, plus the subwoofer being active this way, then that looks like the right solution for you.
But of course, there's no harm in playing around with the other avrs...

Many thanks. All questions and suspicions well-answered. The excellent Mini creates an equally fine community.

Bob Roistacher

Back