Klipsh speakers

pcasa

I have been very impressed by the Wiim product line for some time.

I know this might be pushing it, but would the Wiim Amp be able to push some Klipsh AW-650 outdoor speakers? Area is not large, around pool and would be mounted under the deck.

If not, are their other outdoor speakers that might work better?

The WiiM Amp is definitely underpowered against those speakers and do you really want stereo?

Stereo would be ideal. I got the Klipsh at 50%+ off, so using this as speakers.

Open to options. Like what the Wiim products offer with streaming services, now question is what amp?

Goal is to keep streamer + amp under $400 if possible.

The WiiM Amp is definitely underpowered against those speakers and do you really want stereo?
Why would you assume that?

The AW-650 are rated at 95 dB/1 meter/1 Watt. 20 Watts would be good for 108 dB at 1 meter.

That's a pretty high sensitivity.

My reading is their sensitivity is 95 dB, which means they should require less power than some competitors.

I know these speakers aren't for everyone, but for that price point & they will be exposed to the elements, figured it's a start.

Now thinking Wiim Pro Plus + some type of monoblock amp like the Monoprice Unity 200.

The question is, how loud do you need them to be? Party background, rock concert?

I'd suggest that for such a purpose and environment mono would be a better choice but you can set that within the WiiM device - I assume it sends combined L&R (mono) to both channels and can be switched as and when you want it

I'd suggest that for such a purpose and environment mono would be a better choice but you can set that within the WiiM device - I assume it sends combined L&R (mono) to both channels and can be switched as and when you want it
Your assumption is correct. It does and it can.

Playing in mono surely is something to think about in this environment. There'll be no imaging and soundstage, anyway. Mono should make sure maximum bass capabilities even with strange mixes.

Also, mounting the speakers as close as possible to boundary walls would be beneficial in this use case. Should this lead to overemphasis in a certain frequency range it can easily be tamed by EQ, gaining some additional headroom.

So almost everything speaks in favor of giving the WiiM amp a chance. "Versuch macht kluch"(Trial makes perfect), as we say in Germany.

This is brilliant!

Will try stereo with mono as a back up plan. That should be enough.

Thanks everyone!

I just installed the Wiim Amp and the Klipsch AW-650 at my patio, the speakers are flush against the wall under the eaves, the sound is amazing, can play for our whole village if I want :)
Several dealers in Sweden sell this combination as a package.

There you go. Thanks for reporting the results.

Update: have temporarily moved my sub, an Infinity Beta SW12 to the patio in a rain proof location, the Klipsch AW-650 matches really well, nice to have the lower register

Finally installed everything this past weekend and wanted to provide "my feedback".

Wiim Amp: Impressive, easy to install and get working.
Klipsh AW-650 + Wiim Amp: Drives them (loud enough) but lacks "lows". Not much bass from these speakers. At @ 80 - 85% max volume, a lot of distortion (tweaking EQ in app helps).

All in Cost: $650 installed (including cables and connectors). Hard to ignore something with this much capabilities & volume at this price point.
My alternative was Sonance / Sonos Amp, at $1K (sale price).

Worth it? For me yes. Loud enough for Pool Area and then some.

What is missing (from my perspective):
  • A little more power for the lows from the Amp
  • A outdoor speaker that better matches the Wiim Amp current capabilities.

The specs say 70Hz +-3dB on the low end. The missing lows are probably more a speaker than an amp thing. A added sub should improve significantly here.

Back