Max size USB stick/drive and number of files

keiron99

I'm considering getting the Wiim amp and will be mostly using it to play my own files. They are currently on a NAS, but I want to get rid of the NAS and put my music on a USB drive.

I have just over 30,000 files (tracks), all correctly tagged. Mostly ALAC. They take up 860gb.

Can anyone advise whether the Wiim amp could handle that? Would it be slick, instant and reliable in operation? (I have searched but been unable to find a definitive answer on it... in fact what I have read has not been encouraging.)

If it would work, can anyone please advise what type of USB device to us? (A thumb drive? An SSD drive?)

Thanks

It can I have about 90,000 files on a 1TB and it handles them fine - but it took probably 2 days to fully index them.

Though just to be sure - put of these 20 files on a usb disk first and see if it correct indexes them - no point in waiting 2 days if it has a problem with ALAC files

It can I have about 90,000 files on a 1TB and it handles them fine - but it took probably 2 days to fully index them.

Though just to be sure - put of these 20 files on a usb disk first and see if it correct indexes them - no point in waiting 2 days if it has a problem with ALAC files
Thanks for the prompt reply. That's good to here.

Can I please ask what USB "disk" you are using?

I have just over 30,000 files (tracks), all correctly tagged. Mostly ALAC. They take up 860gb.
Do you know if the indexing meets your requirements? It's my understanding that it's the same as local (to the phone) indexing.

Sorry, I don't know what that means. My technical knowledge is limited!
Do you know if the indexing meets your requirements? It's my understanding that it's the same as local (to the phone) indexing.

Would be interesting to know my collection is quote large, 7TB and 300,000 tracks.

A word or two of caution.

Currently the only way of adding new music to the USB or backing it up is to remove the USB and plug it into something else. Inevitably this introduces an increased risk of disk corruption.

By all account indexing is SLOW. It would be far faster if you used a compatible music server running elsewhere (e.g. NAS) and if configured correctly adding new files and making backups would be simplistic.

I personally do not think WiiM intend this to be used for large music libraries. I'm not sure what constitutes a large library these days but I'd suggest anything above 128Gb would be problematic.

Sorry, I don't know what that means. My technical knowledge is limited!
The indexes are the browsing choices available to help you narrow down your collection to the music you want to play.

WiiM indexes Albums, Album Artist, Genre and Folders, in addition to offering a search facility.

For the vast majority of people that's fine, but it is something to think about, especially for those with larger collections or more extensive metadata.

I personally do not think WiiM intend this to be used for large music libraries. I'm not sure what constitutes a large library these days but I'd suggest anything above 128Gb would be problematic.
No problems with my small collection (roughly 300 GB, ~12.000 files), neither with the Amp nor with the Ultra.

Indexing took a couple of restarts with the Amp but for some reason was ultra fast with the Ultra (same thumb drive, I just deleted the wiim_cache folder).

Back