MKA File support

You can always try asking WiiM directly, but isn’t that an old obsolescent format? I’d suggest converting them to something more common like MP3 or FLAC

You can always try asking WiiM directly, but isn’t that an old obsolescent format? I’d suggest converting them to something more common like MP3 or FLAC
I have ripped my High Res Bluray Audio disks to MKA so would like to be able to play them natively

I have ripped my High Res Bluray Audio disks to MKA so would like to be able to play them natively
Is there any advantage to storing them this way, or is it just the default output of the tool you use?

I assume internally it's just a single audio stream so your tagging is limited to that of the container format. Is that correct?

Perhaps converting was the wrong word to use - given MKA is container for other file formats, you should be able to extract the audio file it contains as it’s likely to be a routine MP3 or FLAC file. I guess there must be MKA file inspection apps that will be able to tell you the number and types of files inside the MKA file to allow that extraction.

Given it’s a niche format, I wouldn’t hang on waiting for WiiM to support it and look at extracting the audio files in a standard format that WiiM devices recognise.

Also, it will probably depend on how you ripped those audio discs and whether you specified stereo PCM or Dolby Digital, for example. WiiM should be able to deal with the former, but won’t handle the latter.

Also, it will probably depend on how you ripped those audio discs and whether you specified stereo PCM or Dolby Digital, for example. WiiM should be able to deal with the former, but won’t handle the latter.
They were ripped with Make MKV then the 5.1 and HD Stereo audio was extracted using mkvtoolnix which uses mka.

My Sony Blueray player can play MKA files which is great in my 5.1 setup in the living room but it would be nice to be able to play the 2.0 files natively with my WiiM amp

They were ripped with Make MKV then the 5.1 and HD Stereo audio was extracted using mkvtoolnix which uses mka.

My Sony Blueray player can play MKA files which is great in my 5.1 setup in the living room but it would be nice to be able to play the 2.0 files natively with my WiiM amp
You could try running VLC and choosing your WiiM Amp as the renderer

Your only choice is to convert to wav, I google there was bunch of converter to choose from and free.

I think ffmpeg might be able to move the files to Flac dependant on the codec of audio in the Mka container

I'm not looking at converting the files compressed or otherwise
In that case, as I said above, you aren’t likely to get a solution from WiiM in the short to medium term for a relatively niche if not obsolescent format.

Plus, referring back to the use of “one app”, I don’t see the WiiM app in the same timescales (if ever) becoming a universal app that can play anything from any service - the market is already well served with mature media apps that can direct their output to WiiM devices (such as VLC) , and playing or casting from such apps and those from streaming services are more likely to be more functional and may well become the norm than a single app that tries to do it all.

I have previously had what can only be described as mixed results especially with 5.1 files

Thankfully my Sony BD player connected to my 5.1 system can play MKA so I could just abandon VLC conversion.

I'm not looking at converting the files compressed or otherwise
What you’re asking is to support that format which unlikely otherwise wiim would have answer that question already. There some folks want dsd but that wasn’t supported either let alone mkv.

Back