Need help adding a sub

SkintAudio

At the my moment my setup is :

Wiim Pro => S.M.S.L. SU1 => Denon Amp =>
Wharfedale diamonds

I really like the improvement in sound quality and use Tidal connect to stream music.
The little speakers don't offer much in bass and I would like to integrate a sub and also my Sony Blu-ray for CD's and movies.
Would I be better off connecting the Wiim to an AVR and using that to manage the sub and disk player, or upgrade to an Ultra.
The Denon amp is over 20 years old and only 30 wpc. This would mean buying an Ultra, a new stereo amp and a sub while rendering the Pro and DAC obselete.
Thanks for any thoughts

I think by purchasing the Pro to add streaming to my ancient amp and speakers I've limited myself to a small system with no obvious path forward.

My set up is an Ultra into Topping PA5ii amp into Wharfedale Diamond 12.1s, and a BK sub.

Is your Denon an AV amp? What’s the model?

I've decided to go with an AV.
I want the extensive HDMI and support for video.
I may even get a centre speaker for dialogue!

It's not an AV. It's a very elderly PMA255uk.

So there’s no sub out on that. If you want to add a sub with that amp you can, but it’d involve a sub which will accept speaker level input and output - each to their own, but I’ve never been keen.

So to add a sub, it’s either get a WiiM Amp (or wait for the WiiM Amp Pro), or keep your Denon and get an Ultra.

If you’re happy with the Denon, I’d get the Ultra.

For proper bass management peq (parametric EQ) and crossover management are needed - basically lfe connection with bass management. Wiim ultra is perfect for that. Alternative equipment needs to have similar possibilities.

Crossover controller included in sub itself is often basically, not usable.

Back