Odd behaviour with Alexa

macx979

Hi,

I just recently bought a WiiM mini to connect to my Amazon Echo Studio via Aux-In.
I also set up a group in the Alexa App consisting of the Wiim device as well as the Echo Studio and set the Wiim device to be the preferred speaker.

This way I can say something like "Alexa play Pop Music" and it start playing from the wiim device. That's the way I like to have it, since I wanna start a music stream via voice and then control it via the wiim app. so far so good.

But if I say "Alexa stop the music" Alexa tells me that it can't control devices via Aux-In and it mutes the Aux-In entirely. Technically that makes sense to me but from a user experience point of view that's a bummer. Especially since the only way to reactivate the Aux-In on the Echo Studio is to restart the device.

I could say " Alexa stop music on Wiim Diningroom (that's the name of the wiim device) but how to tell my wife to do it exactly this way??
It there any workaround to solve that issue?

Best MacX

i’m a bit confused as to this setup and not surprised Alexa is too ;) I don’t see why the WiiM mini is involved at all when in effect you can achieve playback on the Studio on its own. You do mention control from the WiiM app, but why do that - doesn’t the Alexa app (or the Amazon music app) do that for you?

I also understand that Alexa is confused. ;-) From my point of view the Alexa app is really crappy. Even worse Alexa doesn't support using two different Spotify Accounts. Yes, you can set em up via the family option but then you need to switch between the account before starting a stream.

I really would love to have one app for everything and that's why I tried out the Wiim device and it's app.

So I guess the Idea of using Alexa voice commands in conjunction with a wiim device is to have the wiim device connected to a none-Alexa device, right?

For my setup, it seems that the only option accidentally prevent dropping the line "Alexa stop music" is to switch of the Echo mic!?

Back