Original Amazon Echo Show falling silent.

slartibartfast

Major Contributor
Recently my Echo Show has started to fall silent every couple of days. I play BBC Radio 2 most mornings and the Station Icon will appear on the screen but no sound and no Alexa announcement that the station will be played. In this state Alexa doesn't reply to anything but things like weather forecasts appear on the screen. The only way out of this state is to physically unplug it or reboot by holding "Mute" and "Volume down" together.
Has anyone experienced the same?

Have you checked on the Show screen under settings/device (from memory) that it doesn’t need a firmware update? Have you tried disabling and re-enabling the bbc sounds skill? Have you tried rebooting or factory resetting it?

I haven’t seen this mentioned on the Alexa Facebook page I admin. There’s a bbc website page for Alexa issues (can’t recall its url at the moment), but that might be worth checking too.

One thing that has been mentioned is erratic behaviour that some are putting down to changes Amazon are perhaps making to their servers for the release of Alexa AI, but that could just be paranoia ;)

One thing that has been mentioned is erratic behaviour that some are putting down to changes Amazon are perhaps making to their servers for the release of Alexa AI, but that could just be paranoia ;)
This is fairly new behaviour so it could be Amazon's fault. It isn't limited to the BBC Sounds skill so I haven't tried reinstalling that. I haven't tried a factory reset yet but that will probably be the next step when it happens again.

Back