Phono Connections!

People should be made aware that not all phono leads will fit the rear connections. I have a fairly expensive phono lead from QED that could not be inserted due to the recessed nature of the rear connectionso_O. The male phono cable from my Thorens turntable due to their unusual shape although fitted is not ideal. not the fault of Wiim I know but future designs need to be more accessible.

People should be made aware that not all phono leads will fit the rear connections. I have a fairly expensive phono lead from QED that could not be inserted due to the recessed nature of the rear connectionso_O. The male phono cable from my Thorens turntable due to their unusual shape although fitted is not ideal. not the fault of Wiim I know but future designs need to be more accessible.
I would say it was the fault of WiiM. Phono sockets on other amps aren't recessed.

It's WiiM's way of telling us not to fall for boutique cables. ;)
I would not say the QED cables were boutique, yes they was more expensive then Amazon Basics Cables I was using but the basics cables were not playing ball with my Dac/Streamer Coaxial/Digital inputs. The QED worked fine. I get where you are coming from though:).

I would not say the QED cables were boutique, yes they was more expensive then Amazon Basics Cables I was using but the basics cables were not playing ball with my Dac/Streamer Coaxial/Digital inputs.
Well, "fairly expensive" sounds "boutique" in my world. ;) But don't take my comment too seriously, each to their own.

I cannot tell from your previous postings if you are aware of this, so please allow me to explain: You should not use analogue RCA audio cables for digital S/PDIF connections, even if the devices have RCA "coax" inputs and outputs (where coax really just describes the cross-section of the most commonly used type of cable for HF transmission). The signal carrying the digital information is an analogue high frequency signal and need a cable with a well defined characteristic of 75 ohm, very much like most antenna cables. Regular audio cables might work to some extend, but since the characteristic impedance does not match the impedance of the input and output, reflections from both cable ends can corrupt the signal and cause errors.

Amazon claims coaxial construction and compatibility with S/PDIF just for their Amazon Basics subwoofer cables, but they don't explicitly state the characteristic impedance to be 75 ohm, as required. Long story short, I do not necessarily recommend Amazon Basics cables for coaxial S/PDIF. But I also wouldn't spend more than 100 bucks for a coax cable. There are much cheaper cables that are perfect for the job ... and their RCA plugs will even fit the Ultra. One example:

For analogue connections e.g. the inexpensive REAN RCA plugs by Neutrik are pretty much perfect. Other Neutrik plugs should fit fine as well.

So, don't get me wrong. I do not argue against changes to the recessed sockets. The more compatible, the better. I just don't think RCA plugs have to be of dimensions that currently don't fit.

I bought a new wiim ultra but the turntable cables were missing from the package. How do I obtain these cables from Wiim?

I bought a new wiim ultra but the turntable cables were missing from the package. How do I obtain these cables from Wiim?
WiiM don't provide "turntable cables" as such. Usually turntables come with their own cables. What was in your box?

This is what's included:
IMG_20240605_155031.jpg
IMG_20240605_155349.jpg

PS:
If any of the items is missing, contact your reseller.

I thought the ground plug and the turntable cable were integrated as one.
Nope.

Just the ground plug. As I said, turntables always come with their own cables. Either permanently fixed or as detachable cables.

I just received my ULTRA and must say that I am a bit disappointed in how difficult it is to fit reasonably sized phono cables/plugs and sub cables/plug into it. The phono cable I had been using in my Pro Plus will not fit in the Ultra. I actually broke the plug trying to get it out from the Phono in. Way too snug. My sub cable will not fit either. My cables are a SUPRA PHONO and SUPRA Y-Link for the sub. What cables and plugs are people using to connect their equipment to the ULTRA?

I just received my ULTRA and must say that I am a bit disappointed in how difficult it is to fit reasonably sized phono cables/plugs and sub cables/plug into it. The phono cable I had been using in my Pro Plus will not fit in the Ultra. I actually broke the plug trying to get it out from the Phono in. Way too snug. My sub cable will not fit either. My cables are a SUPRA PHONO and SUPRA Y-Link for the sub. What cables and plugs are people using to connect their equipment to the ULTRA?
Yes, I agree, I am having trouble plugging and unplugging some of my cables as well.

In my experience, the thinner this part of the plug is, the better.
1000006590.jpg

Therefore, the more expensive cables tend to be more difficult to plug in. 😂

Back