My WiiM Amp experience

Response from WiiM:

”The current standby mode via remote does not power off the speaker output (we'll release new firmware to address this issue). Therefore, you will need to unplug the WiiM Amp to connect your speaker.

As for the static issue, rest assured that our device has successfully passed ESD tests as per UL and FCC/CE standards. These tests include 4Kv contact and 8Kv air tests, ensuring robust electrostatic discharge protection.”

Last edited:
Also, see updated notes on use of the USB input

USB disk is a strange and confusing way to describe a USB stick.

I already noticed the power issue with the USB - but the other thing which will cause confusion is the USB doesn't appear until after a considerable time (obviously it scanning / indexing the music on the USB). I am going to measure roughly how long someone should wait given a certain number of tracks on a usb.

The really nice thing I noticed is its totally standard UPNP - so my small test collection of various formats and bitrates on the usb stick that I tried last night was available on other devices in my house. Even my Denon AVR picked it up in their Heos App,

Yeah, as I said, I meant to time it but was distracted - I have the attention span of a fish ;)

It probably took it 30-40 mins at least to index approx 20k tracks on a 1TB SSD - remember it’s writing its cache and track artwork back to the disk too.

Semantics, surely? A USB stick appears as a disk drive when you connect it to a PC , as does a USB external drive.

I perhaps wouldn’t have been as definitive as the HDD/standard usb disk split they have as my 1TB SSD drive needed additional power.

Looks good just a pity USB current isn't enough for 2.5" HDD. That way use a near silent 2.5" laptop HDD for mass storage

@Brantome where did you purchase your Wiim Amp? Did you get an early release as they are not widely available in the UK yet it seems? They don't have it listed their Amazon UK store.

@Brantome where did you purchase your Wiim Amp? Did you get an early release as they are not widely available in the UK yet it seems? They don't have it listed their Amazon UK store.
I think it’s widely known here in the forum that I (along with others) was offered a test unit by WiiM.

Plus as happened with the WiiM Pro and Pro Plus, the USA market tend to get first pickings with other regions following at least 4 to 6 weeks behind them. Indeed the French Audiophonic website recently updated their WiiM Amp delivery estimate to 28 December - 04 January which would fit in with that. Going by previous experience, it will likely appear on Amazon UK in the coming weeks but with their usual “unavailable/not sure if/when it’ll come back into stock” message which is then followed by a pre-order update. Who knows, it might appear earlier to allow Santa to have one in his sack, but my money would be on January general availability but that could change.

Wiim have just said “…we have distributors in the UK/EU who will be getting inventory as well as our own Amazon listings. We hope to have stock available late next week.”

Edit: sorry, WiiM have just revised that till the end of December :(

Last edited:
Looks good just a pity USB current isn't enough for 2.5" HDD. That way use a near silent 2.5" laptop HDD for mass storage
So, I have been testing various USB drives and the current draw is crucial - I hope WiiM can implement a warning when the USB requires more current, as I have 2 SSD's - one brand new 2TB SSD looked fine for a while and then I think spikes in its current draw (I was measuring the current via a USB power meter) - while an older Samsung 1TB SSD seems to have a stable current draw and is working very well in the WiiM amp). I was thinking the issue with some of the media but I have both SSDs with the same content and using the same SSD USB adapter.

The only issue I have with this 1TB drive is because its nearly full of tracks searching for a specific track using the 'track' search functionality the MiniDLNA "server" on the WiiM and I have to restart the box for it to appear again.

2 TB thumb drives are pretty cheap. 30 bucks on sale. I am astounded the way storage has evolved. I still have 64GB sticks that were the top end of capacity in their day. I have SSD drives that I saved from old laptops. I made them portable with a USB cable, but they are loud. We sure came a long way from cassette storage boxes in our cars.

It mounts like a disk, has a file system like a disk, quacks like a disk (OK, maybe not the last), but to the OS, it's bulk storage, traditionally referred to as a disk. (See the "Save" icon on GUI applications if you've forgotten....)

Wiim amp now for 2 weeks......this unit was so cool to get unboxed and fired up......replacing a PS audio sprout 100 and Wiim pro streamer.
Now just FYI I have a set of Omega super 8 single driver alnico hemp cone speakers and they have had some pricey amps drive them. These speakers are super efficient and very descriptive. I wanted an all in one unit and not all the thousands wrapped up into it. The Sprout is a super unit and did well.
NOW....the Wiim amp has all the tech stuff I wanted in an amp and streamer. BUT as soon as I started listening I was let down BIGLY. The sound was like a poor fm radio.....What the heck to do.
Well I suffered through a week of listening for 2 hours a night and what do ya know.....she started coming around......it's now hitting way above it's price. Opened right up.....smooth with great soundstage and depth.
I would venture to say I would have to add zeros on to the price to get better audiophile sound.
Wish it had aux input/ output for upgrading DAC but I'm happy now. I wish I had the 10s of thousands I spent the last 30 years on hifi......don't get addicted.....

Thank you. A long break in is very common with these chip amps. Mine is coming today. I guess I'll wait a bit to judge sounds quality....

Back