Playing files via Wiim Pro

Vangelo51

Major Contributor
My main gripe with this device is playing files.

My files are stored on a 512Gb SD card in my Android tablet. I need to navigate through 8 pages to finally get there:

WII FILES.jpg

Some of the steps accessing the card, namely the Songs & Folder page can take over 30 seconds, I guess depending on how much data the SD card contain.

When I finally reach the folder, the alphabetical order is reversed. The whole process to work through all 8 steps takes 1 min, 30 secs!

Luckily, there is a workaround using the HiFi Cast app, which is perfect.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a known issue? I have emailed Wiim Support who replied right away saying Technical would get back to me, but no reply yet (nearly 4 weeks). Maybe I need to start official ticket.

By the way, I cannot bypass the SONGS page and go straight the folder page. The app automatically opens the SONGS page. Once that has loaded, you can access the FOLDERS page and go through it all again!

Still, not a deal breaker for me as there is a workaround & I remain impressed with the Wiim package. None of these streamers are perfect....

Last edited:
Yes, so is my Android phone. SD cards have a deep hierarchy.

By the way, don't you see all the folders in the "Albums" tab?

No, they are correctly arranged alphabetically on my phone (your 8th number screen).

I created a "TEST TONE" folder on my SD card and tested it. As shown in this image, the folder was displayed in the album tab and could be played.

Troubleshooting.
Turne off the phone and remove the phone's SD card. Insert the SD card into the phone and turn it on. Reboot your Wiim device. Delete the WiiM app cache.IMG_20230727_210638.jpg

Thanks Wiimer!

I followed you instructions to the letter, but to no avail. Folders are still in reverse order. I notice my Albums are not though :unsure:

There may be a problem with the data on the SD card, but as you said earlier, please submit a ticket through the feedback of the Wiim app.

If you submit a ticket after opening the folder, the log will be sent with it, which will lead to resolution.🙂

This is most definitely not WiiMs strong point! It is even worse than the integration with some DLNA servers.
BUT
It’s not really WiiMs fault. Both of these functions are extremely difficult when there are lots of manufacturers and they all do things differently.
As many will know I’m not a fan of DLNA but BubbleUPNP is the way to go if you have to use a DLNA server. It does a great job of translating one manufacturers code into a language that another manufacturer can understand.
As for local files or SMB file sharing…….

Not a deal breaker for me. Wiim streams what I need perfectly, and HiFi Cast plays my files reliably. I am happy......

Back