Plex integration in WiiM Home app

Hazenhart

Hello.
Apologies in advance as I am a new user.
Is it possible to have an "all tracks" or "songs" option in when browsing a Home Music Share via a Plex media server? So can select ALL tracks in my library for a big shuffle play, or ALL tracks by a certain artist?

Thanks for your time.

In short no as Plex doesn't offer that index over DLNA.
There are further Plex integrations coming this month so it might be worth waiting to see what they bring, otherwise you could look at an alternative server.

Hello.
Apologies in advance as I am a new user.
Is it possible to have an "all tracks" or "songs" option in when browsing a Home Music Share via a Plex media server? So can select ALL tracks in my library for a big shuffle play, or ALL tracks by a certain artist?

Thanks for your time.
You can use PlexAmp and cast to the WiiM; I have a WiiM Amp and can do this easily. PlexAmp has a number of ways of indexing/shuffling that aren't available in the DLNA and Hom Music Share methods.

You can use PlexAmp and cast to the WiiM; I have a WiiM Amp and can do this easily. PlexAmp has a number of ways of indexing/shuffling that aren't available in the DLNA and Hom Music Share methods.

Are you able to group multiple WiiM players when casting from PlexAmp?

Can’t you cast to a Chromecast group of compatible WiiM devices by grouping them in the google home app?
I thought that it was still a work in progress, but happy to hear if someone has it working (Plex Amp cast to Google group).

Any recommendations for an alternative to a Plex server? My NAS is a WD MyCloud EX2Ultra.

Third party control points like BubbleUPnP allow you to enqueue/shuffle from any index beyond the root level, or shuffle up to 1000 albums from the root.

On a related note,
Anyone have experience with Jellyfin (Plex-like but open source and free) integration?

Any recommendations for an alternative to a Plex server? My NAS is a WD MyCloud EX2Ultra.
Honestly my first recommendation would be to replace that ticking time bomb! Mine fried its drives one by one, idling at around 55 degrees. I replaced it with a Synology DS-220+, placed in the same setup in the same room and the drives are idling at 32 degrees. It's much more capable and the software is a dream. Actual file transfer speeds on the WD were pretty decent though.

Honestly my first recommendation would be to replace that ticking time bomb! Mine fried its drives one by one, idling at around 55 degrees. I replaced it with a Synology DS-220+, placed in the same setup in the same room and the drives are idling at 32 degrees. It's much more capable and the software is a dream. Actual file transfer speeds on the WD were pretty decent though.
The WD has been running flawlessly for 8 years now. Light usage -- mostly backup and music server for multi-room audio. Have been considering preemptive replacement from just and age standpoint, but it has been good and reliable for me.

On a related note,
Anyone have experience with Jellyfin (Plex-like but open source and free) integration?
I've tried it briefly hoping for it to be a headless KODI, but it's the one server that didn't work out of the box for my, very common, file setup. I can't remember if it was all multi-disc albums or just multi-disc compilations, but it failed to register my album artwork.

I was looking for a server to recommend to WiiM users that included artist scraping, not for personal use.

On a related note,
Jellyfin is a derivative of Emby. I use Emby which has a few more features and I have the server license. It's nice on a Firestick for TV access to music. Either Jellyfin or Emby are recommended. Music via Plex on Firestick was buggy, so I ended up switching to Emby.

If this is useful for you, here's a docker-compose for JellyFin to pull music from a TrueNAS nfs share:
YAML:
version: '3.6'

services:
  jellyfin:
    container_name: "jellyfin"
    image: lscr.io/linuxserver/jellyfin:latest
    restart: unless-stopped
    environment:
      - PUID=1000
      - PGID=1000
    network_mode: host
    volumes:
      - jellyfin-data:/data
      - music:/music:ro
    security_opt:
      - apparmor=unconfined
volumes:
  jellyfin-data:
    name: jellyfin-data
  music:
    driver_opts:
      type: "nfs"
      o: "addr=192.168.1.200,nolock,ro,soft,nfsvers=4"
      device: ":/mnt/tank/music"

Jellyfin is a derivative of Emby. I use Emby which has a few more features and I have the server license. It's nice on a Firestick for TV access to music. Either Jellyfin or Emby are recommended. Music via Plex on Firestick was buggy, so I ended up switching to Emby.

If this is useful for you, here's a docker-compose for JellyFin to pull music from a TrueNAS nfs share:
YAML:
version: '3.6'

services:
  jellyfin:
    container_name: "jellyfin"
    image: lscr.io/linuxserver/jellyfin:latest
    restart: unless-stopped
    environment:
      - PUID=1000
      - PGID=1000
    network_mode: host
    volumes:
      - jellyfin-data:/data
      - music:/music:ro
    security_opt:
      - apparmor=unconfined
volumes:
  jellyfin-data:
    name: jellyfin-data
  music:
    driver_opts:
      type: "nfs"
      o: "addr=192.168.1.200,nolock,ro,soft,nfsvers=4"
      device: ":/mnt/tank/music"
Thank you - I'm a Mac user and am considering getting a synology 916+ (second-hand), so I'm looking at what I can do with it running Jellyfin, or Plex. Honestly, I'm a bit in the dark on whether the 916 is a good choice - I've read it's noisy.
Plex can definitely do higher res audio, whilst it's a bit unclear (to me at least) when it comes to Jellyfin which seems less well served for audio.

Thank you - I'm a Mac user and am considering getting a synology 916+ (second-hand), so I'm looking at what I can do with it running Jellyfin, or Plex. Honestly, I'm a bit in the dark on whether the 916 is a good choice - I've read it's noisy.
Plex can definitely do higher res audio, whilst it's a bit unclear (to me at least) when it comes to Jellyfin which seems less well served for audio.
916+ is an old device (2016). It's okay as a starter device but that's old hardware so things like internal power supply are prone to failure. Just be sure to have a backup of your stuff elsewhere. I run two NAS instances just in case. I've had one non-recoverable physical failure that made the second invaluable and also had a moment of stupidity and trashed one with a known bad upgrade path. Again, the second instance saved my data.

Lots of friends have Synology boxes and are happy with them. Probably others on the board can give advice about Plex and other server apps on Synology.

916+ is an old device (2016). It's okay as a starter device but that's old hardware so things like internal power supply are prone to failure. Just be sure to have a backup of your stuff elsewhere. I run two NAS instances just in case. I've had one non-recoverable physical failure that made the second invaluable and also had a moment of stupidity and trashed one with a known bad upgrade path. Again, the second instance saved my data.

Lots of friends have Synology boxes and are happy with them. Probably others on the board can give advice about Plex and other server apps on Synology.
That’s great to know - thanks for the advice.

Do you use any streaming services or is it just local content?

Are you looking to use the WiiM Home App to control playback or would the native JellyFin/Emby/Plex app be ok?

Back