Pro Plus with Neumann monitors

fenry

Hi all,
I'm planning to get a Wiim Pro Plus and pair it with active studio monitors and a TV. I intend to use the coaxial output from the Wiim Pro Plus, as my monitors accept digital input. My question is: Can the Wiim Pro Plus be used with a TV without any latency issues?

Hi all,
I'm planning to get a Wiim Pro Plus and pair it with active studio monitors and a TV. I intend to use the coaxial output from the Wiim Pro Plus, as my monitors accept digital input. My question is: Can the Wiim Pro Plus be used with a TV without any latency issues?
I’d say that depends on the tv - ideally it should have the means to adjust latency under the banner of lip sync or whatever.

Hi, thanks for your reply. To clarify, I would connect the TV to the Wiim using an optical cable. If I understand correctly, your comment suggests that there may be lip sync issues when using the Wiim Pro Plus as the TV's DAC?

There may be or there may not be - the audio output signal from your tv needs to be processed by the pro plus then passed to the active monitors which may also process the audio before you hear it. That finite processing time might be small enough for you to not to notice any lip sync issues, but if you do then the tv needs to use its lip sync feature to delay the video so that it syncs with the audio.

I see. I guess, what I really want to know is whether people have experienced any lip sync issues when connecting the Wiim Pro Plus to the TV with an optical cable. This is regardless of the rest of the setup, whether the Wiim is connected to active monitors, a preamp, or a power amp.

In my (limited) experience, not many TVs have a video delay. (Edit: maybe it's just that none of mine do!)
I have a cheap tv going optical to a pro, optical to dac, then normal analog amp etc.
Also have another tv optical and hdmi to an ultra, then either rca or optical to an amp, or coax to a different dac then rca to amp.
Confused yet??
Anyway, in all of these configurations I have no lip sync issues.
I'm guessing, as Burnside seems to be suggesting, that the active speakers may be the deciding factor here.

Last edited:
It is worth mentioning, if you haven't come across it in other posts on this topic, that if the wiim is in a group then the lip sync lag will be in the order of 0.5 secs, i.e. unwatchable.
But for a 'single' wiim, I have had no issues.

I’m perhaps just being over cautious and so can’t say 100% that there will be no discernible latency, just to be prepared that there might be and that you may have to adjust lip sync in the tv. Your experience might well match @Mr Ee’s ….

It is worth mentioning, if you haven't come across it in other posts on this topic, that if the wiim is in a group then the lip sync lag will be in the order of 0.5 secs, i.e. unwatchable.
But for a 'single' wiim, I have had no issues.
Could you please clarify what you mean by "if the Wiim is in a group"?

Could you please clarify what you mean by "if the Wiim is in a group"?
Wiim multiroom, i.e. multiple wiims in a group all playing the same thing.
e.g. wiim pro lounge and wiim pro kitchen in a group.
Lounge is the parent, with the tv optical as the source.
Both lounge and kitchen play the tv sound.
But the sound will lag the tv on both pros as the very act of grouping them so that they play the same thing in sync with each other means that the tv picture will be 0.5+ secs in advance of the sound.

Back