Question on Wiim Pro/Streaming latency for rear surrounds

tedkonis

Hello,
I currently use an SVS Tri-Band wireless adapter using pre-outs from my Yamaha Receiver to get wireless rear surround sound. Unfortunately, it has a comically low output voltage: only 1 volt, so in order to get it volume matched to my front speakers, I need to use a Topping L30 II at max volume and an SMSL A300 amplifier for the speakers and YPAO still adds +6db to the pre-outs to balance the signal during calibration. I see a couple threads here complaining about input latency for Aux-in; I’d love to get a Wiim Pro for inputs and a Wiim Amp for the rear surrounds and use a WiFi based solution for high res audio. Is there a chance that we could get a software update to improve latency, and stream directly from Wiim to Wiim without going through my router or using Bluetooth?

Hello,
I currently use an SVS Tri-Band wireless adapter using pre-outs from my Yamaha Receiver to get wireless rear surround sound. Unfortunately, it has a comically low output voltage: only 1 volt, so in order to get it volume matched to my front speakers, I need to use a Topping L30 II at max volume and an SMSL A300 amplifier for the speakers and YPAO still adds +6db to the pre-outs to balance the signal during calibration. I see a couple threads here complaining about input latency for Aux-in; I’d love to get a Wiim Pro for inputs and a Wiim Amp for the rear surrounds and use a WiFi based solution for high res audio. Is there a chance that we could get a software update to improve latency, and stream directly from Wiim to Wiim without going through my router or using Bluetooth?
The latency introduced by grouping wiims should only be an issue for situations like tv lip sync or where the primary wiim in the group isn't the source for one of the sets of speakers. i.e. you'd have issues trying to use the yamaha as the input to one of the wiims as the yamaha would feed its speakers and the wiim group would be delayed from that to feed the other speakers.
I really don't see how 'directly' from wiim to wiim would be better / faster than going via the router.

If your source goes into the primary wiim and from there to the yamaha then there shouldn't be any music issues.
You'd still have lip sync issues if the primary wiim input was tv optical out.

you'd have issues trying to use the yamaha as the input to one of the wiims as the yamaha would feed its speakers and the wiim group would be delayed from that to feed the other speakers.
Yes, that is what I suspect, and what my question is largely aimed at. Is there any talk of this latency being improved? The poor sound quality of my SVS aside, it introduces around only 20ms of delay which is taken care of handily by Yamaha's audio calibration (known as YPAO).

Unfortunately, until Wiim has a source device that can transcode Dolby Atmos and DTS:HD, the Yamaha would need to be the primary audio source. Maybe someday It'll just be used as a glorified amp, but for wireless surround, I need the Yamaha to be the DAC/transcoder and use the pre-outs to a something that does aux in sender and has an aux-out receiver. Sure a Wiim Pro Plus is overkill for that but I also don't see wireless audio devices with aux inputs and high quality DACs anywhere else on the market.

Back