Questions about screen interface w/ USB

Jethro DigiTull

Question for all - I have a WiiM Pro Plus and am considering the Ultra for use with an external USB SSD to play stored WAV and mp3 files. I understand these files can be played from this setup, per the Ultra's capabilities, but is there a detailed file-for-file display and/or folder content display on the screen for the USB drive? Can I randomize playback across all folders on the drive? How is the USB folder/file interface accessed/used - by the touchscreen, the remote, the phone app, or all three? I'd love for someone to take some photos of the screen using this setup. I'm just curious if the Ultra would be similar to that of an SACD player that has a screen interface for USB like an Arcam CDS50 or Marantz CD6007. Thanks in advance!

No, you can’t use the screen to select music irrespective of the source, best you can do is select presets. You still need the app to navigate the usb drive or streaming service contents

No, you can’t use the screen to select music irrespective of the source, best you can do is select presets. You still need the app to navigate the usb drive or streaming service contents
So assuming I leave the USB drive connected to the WiiM, does the app have to scan the USB drive contents each time the WiiM is powered up, or just one time initially? What about random/shuffle playback? Appreciate your help, thank you!

Last edited:
The scan of the Ubs key is done once. You have to re-scan, only if you add or delet files. But up to now, to re-scan you have to delet wiim_cache folder - bug?)

The features of Usb disk player is basic up to know (it is said, it would be imnproved in time).

The maximum of files played randomly is 1000 (in a queue list made by adding folders in the queue from app). I use to played the same queue list several times even after stand by mode. But sometimes I have to reload the queue list (bug?).

Up to now, you can only put one folder by preset (of 12 presets), (wich can be played from touch (the 12) screen or remote (the first 4)).
But, up to now, only 500 files are counted by preset and not 1000 (bug?).

I hope this helps you.

So, using the app, I can navigate the folders/songs on the USB drive?

Yeah, or albums, artists, songs, playlists, genre and folders
What about random/shuffle playback? Appreciate your help, thank you!
No, it’s rather basic in that respect. You may be able to use something like the Android bubbleupnp app to do random playback, although I think it might shuffle a playlist, not the entire disk content.

Yeah, or albums, artists, songs, playlists, genre and folders

No, it’s rather basic in that respect. You may be able to use something like the Android bubbleupnp app to do random playback, although I think it might shuffle a playlist, not the entire disk content.
Understood, thank you! I'll just stick to feeding my USB SSD into my Arcam and keep the WiiM Pro Plus. As it is, I don't need most of the features on the Ultra, and it's just extra circuitry left unused. The AKM DAC in the Pro Plus is on par with the Ultra's ESS DAC, and even preferred by some (!).

Back