USB artwork

Well, it's taken a while, but I'm now sorted.

A combination of removing embedded album art by using mp3tag, and recreating folders to remove hidden files.

The latter, to be clear (and as discussed above), even after using mp3tag and inserting a new 'folder' JPEG, the wrong art was missing. Right clicking on the album folder and selecting properties would show 22 files. You open the folder and there are 21 FLACs and 1 'folder' JPEG. There's clearly another JPEG in there somewhere, but who knows where.

The only solution: create a new folder of exactly the same name, cut all the files in the original folder and paste them into the new one, right click and properties on the old folder should show 1 file still in there, try the same with the new folder and it should correctly show just 21 files, not 22, delete the original folder, cut & paste the new one back into its place.

Looking good - pics to follow.

So to be clear, I’ve not put my entire music library on to the USB stick, I’ve just selected ones where the track, album, or mix isn’t available in streaming, or I have custom folders (playlists, in a way), for my own ease of use.

APOLOGIES FOR THE LARGE PIC SIZES.

IMG_2316.png

Last edited:
Long winded way of doing what a good music server would do automatically but good on you for persisting

In what way?

In general, all the issues which have taken up among my time have been caused by my wanting to change artwork which had been embedded when the CDs were initially ripped.

The actual folder structure, etc., was a doddle, pretty quick, and something I enjoyed doing.

Last edited:
In what way?

In general, all the issues which have taken up among my time have been caused by my wanting to change artwork which had been embedded when the CDs were initially ripped.

The actual folder structure, etc., was a doddle, pretty quick, and something I enjoyed doing.
I know you can’t be persuaded but using a decent music server wouldn’t require such detailed folder structure where you have had to use 01, 02 etc to get chronological order. The server would read your tags and organise accordingly. It would also deal with the images being mixed into embedded files and folder.jpg/cover.jpg and allow you to easily create playlists etc

I know you can’t be persuaded but using a decent music server wouldn’t require such detailed folder structure where you have had to use 01, 02 etc to get chronological order.
In fairness, if you addressed the 01/02 by using DATE/ORIGINALRELEASEDATE (or ALBUMSEQUENCE if a boxset) I can't see a reason why not to use such a structure for storing your music, even if ultimately you were going to use tag view, and given that most servers don't index releasetype it's not a bad position to fall back to (through folder view).
Doing it manually at scale is another issue, but if all this information were available in the tags it would be trivial to create such a structure, and with the use of Plex or LMS to scrape the artist images I think it's doable.

I couldn't use it myself, but given the limitations I don't think it's a bad result.

You’d be amazed how quick it is to do this.

I’ve used NASs and servers before, and they’re most certainly not without their own issues.

My folder structure, I can stack it as I like, different for different artists.

My time has been 95% taken with the artwork issues, which would have had to be rectified in any case.

Folder level is an absolute cinch. Massively easy to use. It looks 100% exactly as I want it to look. And I still have the option of using the other views (artist, album, song, etc.).

Back