Questions about volume knob and max volume

Fralle

Hi everyone,

I have just purchased a Wiim Ultra and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I see in the Q&A section that the answer is yes to the question "Will it be possible to deactivate the volume control on the knob/wheel of the Ultra, and what will the options be, if so? Same as Pro plus - skip between tracks?" My question is, will I still be able to use the remote and/or phone for volume control then?

I also have a question about the "volume limit" feature. If I set it to 20%, 30%, or 40%, will it negatively affect the sound quality? The reason I ask is that I will be pairing it with a 250 watts Ncore from Audiophonics, and I have a one-and-a-half-year-old baby who loves to turn volume knobs and walk off with phones.

Thank you! The setting a quite low max volume value will probably be the best solution for the moment.

Hi everyone,

I have just purchased a Wiim Ultra and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I see in the Q&A section that the answer is yes to the question "Will it be possible to deactivate the volume control on the knob/wheel of the Ultra, and what will the options be, if so? Same as Pro plus - skip between tracks?" My question is, will I still be able to use the remote and/or phone for volume control then?

I also have a question about the "volume limit" feature. If I set it to 20%, 30%, or 40%, will it negatively affect the sound quality? The reason I ask is that I will be pairing it with a 250 watts Ncore from Audiophonics, and I have a one-and-a-half-year-old baby who loves to turn volume knobs and walk off with phones.
The volume limit is just the same as the digital volumecontrol, but it sets a limit. You loose some resolution from 24 bits.

You can do the gain mod to lower it to 13 dB . I did it for my Audiophonics ncore 125. Two resistors needs to be unsoldered.
The buffer becomes a unitygain buffer . Now, the digital volume control is at about 70 % when listening to music rather loud. Before the mod it was like 45%.

If you dont want to modify:
You can use the volume limit function and set it to 50%. This way you have protection but its not optimal using a digital volumecontrol mostly at 50% or lower. And buying attenuators make the sound slightly worse.

Last edited:
How do I do that?
Theres another option :
If you use the internal dac of the WiiM ultra you can select max output from the dac in the WiiM app between 500 mv, 1V to 2V .
If the gain is to loud you could try 500 mv.

Last edited:
Here is the mod . You need skills and equipment to desolder two SMD resistors.
I did email Hypex before I did it , Im not sure the 250 model is the same as 125 , so better ask Hypex first.

Last edited:
Theres another option :
If you use the internal dac of the WiiM ultra you can select max output from the dac in the WiiM app between 500 mv, 1V to 2V .
If the gain is to loud you could try 500 mv.
There won't be any soldering for me, that's for sure. So setting it to 500 mv should be safer then? Do you also recommend setting a max volume to 40% or something like that?

There won't be any soldering for me, that's for sure. So setting it to 500 mv should be safer then? Do you also recommend setting a max volume to 40% or something like that?
500mV should be enough as a start I think .
If its still to loud then also use the volume limiter at 80-90%.

Setting the gain correct is important . You should set the max volume limit right below the point where your speaker start to distort with music material .

Last edited:
Thank you! Yes it actually makes me a little nervous since this amp is such a powerhouse. Actually I think of not using the trigger cable since it seems safer to turn the volume all the way down on the Ultra before powering on the amp.

Back