Roon to WiiM Ultra limited to 44.1 khz

lespaul00

Hello. I received my WiiM Ultra and it's great. I can play Tidal original quality from the WiiM app and the Tidal app (via Tidal connect) to the WiiM Ultra via Ethernet. However, when I play the same music through the Roon app (so, Roon server on my PC to the WiiM Ultra via Ethernet), it gets limited you 44.1 khz. I assume it's doing so via AirPlay protocol, which I wouldn't expect since it's hardwired via Ethernet, but I guess regardless of the network connection, AirPlay is used. If this is the case, it's really a Roon setback, and I unfortunately lose the desire to use it. I do notice a difference in the sound quality, hence why it's an issue for me. Any help is appreciated!!

It’s not yet certified as Roon Ready so will be AirPlay only at this stage

Yep they only rolled out the Roon Ready update recently. Ensure your on the latest firmware for the Ultra. Then go to settings audio in Roon and look for the Wiim under Roon Ready section. Enable it and disable any others you may have been using that are labelled Wiim Ultra. Sounds like you have enabled the Wiims Google cast input in Roon.

It seems Roon defaults to AirPlay when streaming to the WiiM Ultra, limiting playback to 44.1 kHz. To fix this:

1. Check Roon Settings: Go to Settings > Audio and see if there’s a higher-quality output option for the WiiM Ultra, like RAAT.
  2. Update Firmware: Ensure both Roon and WiiM Ultra are up-to-date.
  3. Consider Alternatives: If AirPlay is the only option, you might need a different device for higher-quality streaming.
If the issue persists, contact support for further assistance.
You clearly missed the comment two before yours…

Back