Sonos to WiiM: Advice needed

Razza

The final Sonos app update was the last straw and I'm ready to ditch Sonos. After some research, WiiM seems like a reasonable alternative.

My setup/use case:
- streaming local library from a NAS (Plex server and DNLA server on Unraid);
- two Sonos Play:1 speakers in different rooms, plays different music (no need to sync playback sound).
- everything is wired with ethernet, though Wifi is stable.
- most music is in MP3, with some FLAC.
- I usually just select an artist and shuffle their entire collection, so I don't have to change the music too often. Haven't really gotten into creating playlists.
- Priority is streaming from local library and an easy app to manage the playback from iPhones.

I'm thinking of selling one of the Sonos speakers, as the living room is a priority, home office can wait. I'm looking at getting a pair of bookshelf speakers (Edifier R1280DB or ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2, both are below 150 euros), but the question is which WiiM device would be most appropriate - the Mini, Pro/plus or Amp?

As you can guess, I'm not much of an audiophile, since the single Play:1 was the only sound system in the living room, but I'm looking to upgrade that.

My main questions:
- would I be able to stream my local library, with an easy mobile app?
- would I be able to stream from my Plex server to WiiM Mini, or just the Pro/Plus/Amp?
- would PlexAmp work with WiiM Mini, or just Pro/Plus/Amp?
- Is it worth getting a Pro Plus, if do not plan to upgrade from the pair of bookshelf speakers in the foreseeable future (and my library is mainly MP3, not FLAC)?

On a related note, I have an older Technics music center (SC-HDA710) - would it be possible to hook it up with either of the WiiM devices? As far as I remember, the speakers were decent, and it would save me some money.

Here are some pics of the components.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Answering the matching question. Am I correct in thinking that both Edifier & Elac models are Active Speakers? If so then you don’t need WiiM Amp.
However a WiiM Amp with passive bookshelf speakers may well be a better bang for your buck.

What app are you using to play from your DLNA source?
The reason I ask is because unfortunately the WiiM Home app doesn't have the ability to shuffle from top level indexes e.g. the artist index, which sounds like it could be an issue.
There are a couple of very good third party apps on Android to choose from, but not so much on iOS.

I take it you don't have a Plex Pass?

What app are you using to play from your DLNA source?
The reason I ask is because unfortunately the WiiM Home app doesn't have the ability to shuffle from top level indexes e.g. the artist index, which sounds like it could be an issue.
There are a couple of very good third party apps on Android to choose from, but not so much on iOS.

I take it you don't have a Plex Pass?
I was just using the Sonos app. Had trouble connecting Plex to the Sonos app, though with the latest update it works now, albeit it is slow.
I do have Plex Pass.

I was just using the Sonos app. Had trouble connecting Plex to the Sonos app, though with the latest update it works now, albeit it is slow.
I do have Plex Pass.
Is your DLNA server available through the Sonos app?

With Plex Pass can't you use PlexAmp to play to the Sonos speakers avoiding the Sonos app entirely?
All WiiMs apart from the Mini support Chromecast so that'll work with PlexAmp, although it won't be gapless.

Is your DLNA server available through the Sonos app?

With Plex Pass can't you use PlexAmp to play to the Sonos speakers avoiding the Sonos app entirely?
All WiiMs apart from the Mini support Chromecast so that'll work with PlexAmp, although it won't be gapless.
Yes, I am playing through the Plex integration in the Sonos app.

Unfortunately, my Sonos Play:1 speakers do not appear to support Chromecast, as they do not appear as casting options from PlexAmp.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, my Sonos Play:1 speakers do not appear to support Chromecast, as they do not appear as casting options from PlexAmp.
I don't use Plex and it doesn't look like there's a free trial that I can use to test it with, but it certainly used to be possible as detailed here.

Given the functionality to shuffle whole artist discographies isn't available in the WiiM app, it looks like if you were to go down the WiiM route PlexAmp might be the best option. There is further 'Plex integration' on the WiiM roadmap, but what that looks like (PlexAmp endpoint Vs integration in the WiiM app) we don't know currently.

Sounds like the WiiM Pro is the optimal solution for me. I think I'll order one and try to get it to work with my existing Technics speakers/apm/tuner, to save on buying new speakers. Or try to sell it and get new speakers.

Question, though, when would it make sense to get the Pro Plus with it's improved DAC - if I switched my local library to FLAC and/or bought better speakers than the Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 I'm thinking of? Or would I need a much, much better equipment to notice any real difference? I am not an audiophile, the speakers in the living room are mostly for background music listening.

when would it make sense to get the Pro Plus with it's improved DAC
If you intend to use the wiim's analog outs then, imo, get the plus.
Even in the 'worst' setup in my signature (pro 3, with at least 25 year old amp and same age, very cheap speakers) an external dac made a huge difference.
I don't actually have a pro plus, but by all accounts its analog output is significantly better than the pro, and comparable to many well regarded "cheap" external dacs. (I quoted cheap to literally indicate price; not to imply they don't perform well.)

And, again my opinion, better than the pro analog output is not difficult to achieve - it really is the weak point of the pro, whereas as a digital streaner the pro is really good.

Edit - quite a few here hold a wiim pro with an smsl su1 dac in high regard. Two boxes though!

Last edited:
If you intend to use the wiim's analog outs then, imo, get the plus.
Even in the 'worst' setup in my signature (pro 3, with at least 25 year old amp and same age, very cheap speakers) an external dac made a huge difference.
I don't actually have a pro plus, but by all accounts its analog output is significantly better than the pro, and comparable to many well regarded "cheap" external dacs. (I quoted cheap to literally indicate price; not to imply they don't perform well.)

And, again my opinion, better than the pro analog output is not difficult to achieve - it really is the weak point of the pro, whereas as a digital streaner the pro is really good.

Edit - quite a few here hold a wiim pro with an smsl su1 dac in high regard. Two boxes though!
agree with most of what's said here. i went for the pro since i want to use the DAC in my active speakers... i would actually go for the rumoured WiiM micro pure digital transport if it were an option.

“rumoured WiiM micro pure digital transport”? There’s been no such rumour just unfounded speculation or wish.

Thanks for the suggestion. In my local market the Pro is 180€ and the Pro Plus 250€. The SMSL SU1 is about 100€ on AliExpress - is it better than the DAC in the ProPlus or just different?

Thanks for the suggestion. In my local market the Pro is 180€ and the Pro Plus 250€. The SMSL SU1 is about 100€ on AliExpress - is it better than the DAC in the ProPlus or just different?
Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question as I have neither a pro plus nor an smsl su-1 !
Different, but maybe not much, is probably the right answer though ;)

As you note, a pro and su1 is roughly the same price as a pro plus.
Maybe you didn't need yet another option to consider...
So, save the 30€ and put it towards speakers ;)

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question as I have neither a pro plus nor an smsl su-1 !
Different, but maybe not much, is probably the right answer though ;)

As you note, a pro and su1 is roughly the same price as a pro plus.
Maybe you didn't need yet another option to consider...
So, save the 30€ and put it towards speakers ;)
Not only saving a few €, you would also avoid another ugly power wall wart! And investing in speakers is always a good idea 😉

Back