SPDIF input quality

pmalecek

Hello,

I'm solving a quality issue here on the WiiM Pro Plus optical input. Specifically, the sampling rate and bit depth.

I am unable to get to any other value than 44.1kHz/16bit (LPCM).

I originally thought it was a bug in the TV being the audio source (for WiiM via SPDIF), but even when I use the Logitech Squeezebox Touch as the audio source, I still see CD-level input quality, not HiRes (I own recordings in 48kHz/24bit to 192kHz/24bit quality).

Does anyone use optical input as a music source and get even higher quality than CD? I find out the quality through the Chrome add-on or the WiiM app.

Thanks.

What output your WiiM Pro Plus is set to? What are your settings for SPDIF and Coax Audio Resolutions under Audio Settings in WiiM Home app? Check whether Fixed Resolution toggle under those settings is enabled or not.
My Pro Plus has no problem passing on to digital outputs whatever bit depth/sample rate is fed to its Toslink up to 24/192

We're dealing with input, not output. All (in/out) set to maximum (192kHz/24bit).

The TV is 48kHz/16bit (via optical), but WiiM reports only 44.1kHz/16bit. I don't get the figure. If I connect another DAC, then I can see that the input quality is 48kHz/16bit.

I think WiiM is reporting incorrect data.

We're dealing with input, not output. All (in/out) set to maximum (192kHz/24bit).

The TV is 48kHz/16bit (via optical), but WiiM reports only 44.1kHz/16bit. I don't get the figure. If I connect another DAC, then I can see that the input quality is 48kHz/16bit.

Best submitting a ticket to WiiM then thru the settings/feedback section of the WiiM Home app so they can investigate your logs

Now, friends, I am confused. Does your WiiM Home app actually display bit depth and resolution on the Toslink input? I’ve been long petitioning for this, but with all the updates on my WiiM Pro Plus, it just doesn’t.

Where does the WiiM app report 44.1kHz/16 bit?

I haven't tried another source via toslink yet, I need to find a device that has an optical output and send it to WiiMu. Otherwise when I stream Amazon Music for example, it reports real quality.

Attachments

• Snímek obrazovky 2024-06-20 v 17.43.46.png
    Snímek obrazovky 2024-06-20 v 17.43.46.png
    423.4 KB · Views: 6
Yeah, it appears WiiM so far hasn’t figured a way to reliably display datastream parameters on the TOSLINK, unlike all other inputs. So, the plugin may be just showing its arbitrary default. One way to check it would be to connect a DAC capable of showing bit depth and sampling frequency downstream from your WiiM to see what it shows. In my case, the Pro Plus always passes on whatever datarates are fed to its TOSLINK (unless I set it to resample)

Back