Stop Bluetooth on devices from changing connection?

I'm a relatively new WiiM'er having moved over from Sonos. I'm very happy with WiiM, but there's one aspect to how WiiM is implemented that is driving me crazy. It's not exactly WiiM's "fault" or error, but it is a byproduct of how WiiM has decided to leverage Spotify as a service. I don't think there's any solution here - I think it's just an annoying limitation of the Bluetooth spec - but I'm curious if maybe someone out there knows something I don't? :)

The quick summary: While Sonos connects directly to Spotify and essentially IS the streaming device, WiiM really just pushes you over to your phone's app and your phone is the streaming device. But this really "locks" in your phone to WiiM and so many other phone actions can then very easily disrupt the stream.

The biggest problem I keep having is that if I just turn ON another Bluetooth device (say, a pair of headphones), my phone will immediately connect to it, and suddenly the stream from the Spotify app that had been playing through WiiM is now playing through the pair of headphones. The entirely house is disrupted and I have to manually re-direct streams. Every time I have a stream playing through the house and I decide to listen to a podcast on my phone... I have to go through this dance. I've even had to completely "forget" some always on Bluetooth devices because it just caused too many problems.

Does anyone know a workround for this? Is WiiM perhaps going to more tightly integrate Spotify so that it eliminates this device-reliance problem?

Thanks!

I'm a relatively new WiiM'er having moved over from Sonos. I'm very happy with WiiM, but there's one aspect to how WiiM is implemented that is driving me crazy. It's not exactly WiiM's "fault" or error, but it is a byproduct of how WiiM has decided to leverage Spotify as a service. I don't think there's any solution here - I think it's just an annoying limitation of the Bluetooth spec - but I'm curious if maybe someone out there knows something I don't? :)

The quick summary: While Sonos connects directly to Spotify and essentially IS the streaming device, WiiM really just pushes you over to your phone's app and your phone is the streaming device. But this really "locks" in your phone to WiiM and so many other phone actions can then very easily disrupt the stream.

The biggest problem I keep having is that if I just turn ON another Bluetooth device (say, a pair of headphones), my phone will immediately connect to it, and suddenly the stream from the Spotify app that had been playing through WiiM is now playing through the pair of headphones. The entirely house is disrupted and I have to manually re-direct streams. Every time I have a stream playing through the house and I decide to listen to a podcast on my phone... I have to go through this dance. I've even had to completely "forget" some always on Bluetooth devices because it just caused too many problems.

Does anyone know a workround for this? Is WiiM perhaps going to more tightly integrate Spotify so that it eliminates this device-reliance problem?

Thanks!
Doesn't Spotify Connect use WiFi not Bluetooth?

perhaps some other users can chime in with their specific experiences with spotify. but just to clarify - are you connecting to the WiiM via bluetooth or spotify connect?

if you are using spotify connect then that shouldn't be happening. but i don't think the kind of issue you describe is avoidable if you are using bluetooth...

but just to clarify - are you connecting to the WiiM via bluetooth or spotify connect?

Using Spotify Connect. When my phone then connects to a Bluetooth device - which happens automatically when a known device in-range is powered on - the Spotfiy Connect option is automatically re-routed to the Bluetooth device. Maybe it's a Spotify issue in the end?

Spotify Connect shows any compatible device, regardless of connection protocol; meaning it shows the WiiM devices, Chromecast devices, and any Bluetooth devices that the phone is connected to.

Using Spotify Connect. When my phone then connects to a Bluetooth device - which happens automatically when a known device in-range is powered on - the Spotfiy Connect option is automatically re-routed to the Bluetooth device. Maybe it's a Spotify issue in the end?

Spotify Connect shows any compatible device, regardless of connection protocol; meaning it shows the WiiM devices, Chromecast devices, and any Bluetooth devices that the phone is connected to.

Could you try opening the Spotify app info on the phone and turning off the "Nearby Devices" permission?

On my Android phone this avoids Spotify connecting to Bluetooth.
(However, the phone will not be able to play Spotify over Bluetooth.)

You are correct, Spotify Connect can seamlessly switch between Wi-Fi connection and Bluetooth. This is a Spotify Connect specification, not a WiiM issue. For this reason, I think it would be ideal to use a dedicated WiiM phone (or tablet) at home.

[Edit: You may need more than one Spotify account to completely decouple Wi-Fi connection from Bluetooth connection.]

Personally, I really like this feature of Spotify. When I go out and get in my car while playing Spotify on my WiiM at home, it automatically connects to the Bluetooth in my car audio system. When I return home and press the play button on the WiiM remote, WiiM will play the rest of the music.

Also, Spotify Connect does not transfer the music played on the phone to the WiiM. It is the WiiM device that does the playback. Of course, this is not the case for Bluetooth connections.

Last edited:
Could you try opening the Spotify app info on the phone and turning off the "Nearby Devices" permission?
Personally, I really like this feature of Spotify. When I go out and get in my car while playing Spotify on my WiiM at home, it automatically connects to the Bluetooth in my car audio system. When I return home and press the play button on the WiiM remote, WiiM will play the rest of the music.
Thanks for the thoughts. I don't see this setting in the iPhone Spotify app at all; the only thing similar I see is under Settings / Devices / Show Local Devices Only. This is off, though it doesn't sound to be what you're likely describing.

In doing more searching online it definitely seems to be a Spotify Connect issue in the end, and I don't seem to be the only one who is frustrated by it. I see tons of people complaining about it with similar stories. Example: one person using his phone to stream music, they get a call and use ear buds to answer the call, Spotify Connect detects the new connection and automatically moves the stream to the ear buds, suddenly the person has both the Spotify stream and the phone call coming through their ear buds.

I appreciate the ease-of-use example you provided, but I do find it incredibly short sighted by Spotify to not offer it as an on/off feature. I have the same problems with the Bluetooth spec. Once my wife was on a call - a job interview no less - in our house, I left the house and took her car, and once I turned the car on it hijacked the phone call and suddenly I was on with the recruiter in her car!! I find that just horrible.

But yeah, again I appreciate the thoughts, and it's good to have at least been able to pin this down to Spotify behavior in the end. I'll just have to be more diligent in managing Spotify / Bluetooth.

Now, over to the Spotify boards to upvote making this a setting!! :p

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't see this setting in the iPhone Spotify app at all; the only thing similar I see is under Settings / Devices / Show Local Devices Only. This is off, though it doesn't sound to be what you're likely describing.

In doing more searching online it definitely seems to be a Spotify Connect issue in the end, and I don't seem to be the only one who is frustrated by it. I see tons of people complaining about it with similar stories. Example: one person using his phone to stream music, they get a call and use ear buds to answer the call, Spotify Connect detects the new connection and automatically moves the stream to the ear buds, suddenly the person has both the Spotify stream and the phone call coming through their ear buds.

I appreciate the ease-of-use example you provided, but I do find it incredibly short sighted by Spotify to not offer it as an on/off feature. I have the same problems with the Bluetooth spec. Once my wife was on a call - a job interview no less - in our house, I left the house and took her car, and once I turned the car on it hijacked the phone call and suddenly I was on with the recruiter in her car!! I find that just horrible.

But yeah, again I appreciate the thoughts, and it's good to have at least been able to pin this down to Spotify behavior in the end. I'll just have to be more diligent in managing Spotify / Bluetooth.

Now, over to the Spotify boards to upvote making this a setting!! :p

Sorry if my words didn't come across, but I am not referring to the settings within the Spotify app.

I've never used an iphone, so I don't know the details, but isn't there a section in the iphone's security settings for Bluetooth?

I did a little research and it looks like you can allow (or deny) Bluetooth connections on a per app basis in the "Settings > Security & Privacy > Bluetooth section".

Ah, thanks, I see what you're referring to. Overall I wouldn't want to keep Spotify from being able to use Bluetooth, but it might be easier to toggle that device setting on / off for when I DO want it to connect to Bluetooth than having to toggle the Connect setting more often otherwise. I'll probably play around with this and see how it goes.

Thanks for the thoughts, I appreciate the kind interaction!

Ah, thanks, I see what you're referring to. Overall I wouldn't want to keep Spotify from being able to use Bluetooth, but it might be easier to toggle that device setting on / off for when I DO want it to connect to Bluetooth than having to toggle the Connect setting more often otherwise. I'll probably play around with this and see how it goes.

Thanks for the thoughts, I appreciate the kind interaction!

Can the iPhone's switch control feature automate the on/off operation?😁

No, in fact it looks like there is no Bluetooth specific permission either; it's "allow app to find local devices" on / off. So I guess it will have to remain on. Another shame! Who designs these things? ;)

Back