Stuttering

KMonk

I have a Wiim amp on wifi. I use it to play Tidal connect. I've returned home after several weeks (and a couple of Wiim updates in the meantime) to find it stutters terribly when playing. It played perfectly a couple of months ago. Any ideas about what I can do to cure a currently unusable amp? When I play Tidal though my phone connected to WiFi it works perfectly (even when Bluetoothed to a separate speaker).

Last edited:
Did you update both, the WiiM Home app (version >= 2.9.9) and the Amp's firmware (version >= 5.0.617255)?

Are you using the Tidal app and Tidal Connect to the WiiM Amp or did you log into Tidal through the WiiM Home app? Tidal have been changing (and renaming) there plans a couple of weeks ago. If you experience any trouble, logging out of your Tidal account and back in again might help.

When using WiiM Home make sure to set Account => Quality to "Max". Inside the Tidal app this should be in Settings => Audio&Playback, separately for mobile and Wi-Fi.

What's the Wi-Fi Strength displayed under Network Status in WiiM Home?

Thanks for your input. I'll look into all this. Just reminding you/others that the WiFi works well with the phone but not Wiim amp.

Thanks for your input. I'll look into all this. Just reminding you/others that the WiFi works well with the phone but not Wiim amp.
In certain non-ideal conditions moving the Amp just an inch or two can make a difference. Your phone is never in exactly the same spot and might well have a better Wi-Fi connection in general.

Are you using Bluetooth by any chance? Despite the product info, the WiiM Amp and Pro have dreadful stuttering defects under certain conditions that they just can't seem to rectify.

Steve

I have a Wiim amp on wifi. I use it to play Tidal connect. I've returned home after several weeks (and a couple of Wiim updates in the meantime) to find it stutters terribly when playing. It played perfectly a couple of months ago. Any ideas about what I can do to cure a currently unusable amp? When I play Tidal though my phone connected to WiFi it works perfectly (even when Bluetoothed to a separate speaker).
Can you please submit the feedback ticket via the WiiM Home App? We'll look at this immediately. I appreciate your patience!

Did you update both, the WiiM Home app (version >= 2.9.9) and the Amp's firmware (version >= 5.0.617255)?

Are you using the Tidal app and Tidal Connect to the WiiM Amp or did you log into Tidal through the WiiM Home app? Tidal have been changing (and renaming) there plans a couple of weeks ago. If you experience any trouble, logging out of your Tidal account and back in again might help.

When using WiiM Home make sure to set Account => Quality to "Max". Inside the Tidal app this should be in Settings => Audio&Playback, separately for mobile and Wi-Fi.

What's the Wi-Fi Strength displayed under Network Status in WiiM Home?

Both updated. Normally use Wiim home app, but tried Tidal app too and makes no difference. WiFi strength showing as"very good".

If it's possible to use Ethernet that's the first thing I'd try, to rule out WiFi as the cause.

Both updated. Normally use Wiim home app, but tried Tidal app too and makes no difference. WiFi strength showing as"very good".
Tidal quality setting? Log out and into account again?

Are you using Bluetooth by any chance? Despite the product info, the WiiM Amp and Pro have dreadful stuttering defects under certain conditions that they just can't seem to rectify.

Steve
No. Just WiFi to amp.

If it's possible to use Ethernet that's the first thing I'd try, to rule out WiFi as the cause.
Awkward to use ethernet as my router is the other side of room from the amp, (albeit only 3m away). WiFi worked perfectly well before anyway.

In certain non-ideal conditions moving the Amp just an inch or two can make a difference. Your phone is never in exactly the same spot and might well have a better Wi-Fi connection in general.
I understand, but the WiFi worked perfectly well before with the amp which has not been moved.

I understand, but the WiFi worked perfectly well before with the amp which has not been moved.
You leave in a high density building? Are you using 2.4 or 5Ghz ? You may want to check how busy the wifi bands are, all it took for me to screw my NAD a couple of years back was a new neighbour with a powerful router on the other side of the wall sitting on the one band that wasn't yet too messy.... If that is the case, then maybe try changing channels on your router see if it helps

Awkward to use ethernet as my router is the other side of room from the amp, (albeit only 3m away). WiFi worked perfectly well before anyway.
Have you tried another source?

Whilst it may be awkward it's the likely culprit, so best to rule it out first. If you don't have a 3m cable but do have a set of bluetooth headphones you could move the Amp and test with the headphones.

Rebooting the AP/router is probably also worth doing.

You leave in a high density building? Are you using 2.4 or 5Ghz ? You may want to check how busy the wifi bands are, all it took for me to screw my NAD a couple of years back was a new neighbour with a powerful router on the other side of the wall sitting on the one band that wasn't yet too messy.... If that is the case, then maybe try changing channels on your router see if it helps
Router is just 3m away from amp and only a settee in-between. No other WiFi users around.

Router is just 3m away from amp and only a settee in-between. No other WiFi users around.
Hi KMonk,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Please send a feedback ticket from the WiiM Home App so we can troubleshoot this issue immediately. Thank you!

Hi KMonk,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Please send a feedback ticket from the WiiM Home App so we can troubleshoot this issue immediately. Thank you!
I sent a feedback ticket from the Wiim home app yesterday.

I've been in communication with Wiim support who advised changing DNS from 8.8.8.8. That made no difference. Also told to reboot, that made no difference too. Also seen on FAQs a similar problem and "proposed solution" for Qobus. Now looking like after the update, my amp has to be returned as no longer fit for purpose. Very frustrating.

Do you have Bluetooth headphones that you can use to test the Amp wired to the router? That or get a 3m ethernet cable.

It's unclear whether WiiM confirmed that it wasn't WiFi related.

Back