Sub out question

I have an external USB DAC with a Sub coming from the Ultra and also have the sub slider to YES. What happens? Does the DAC only get the frequencies above the crossover? Or does the DAC get the full 20-20k?

And I have the line out wired to an external headphones. And if I switch outputs from USB out to LINE OUT (my headphone amp), the sub still is active. I suppose on my wishlist is the ability to have the sub yes/no for each output.

I have two other options for the sub to work around the above issue.
1) I can put low level rca L+R to the sub and have the sub control crossover,.
2) I have a sub out on my amp although there is no crossover control....I think it is a fixed 80Hz

If I do either of the above, do I choose sub=NO in the Ultra?

I have an external USB DAC with a Sub coming from the Ultra and also have the sub slider to YES. What happens? Does the DAC only get the frequencies above the crossover? Or does the DAC get the full 20-20k?

And I have the line out wired to an external headphones. And if I switch outputs from USB out to LINE OUT (my headphone amp), the sub still is active. I suppose on my wishlist is the ability to have the sub yes/no for each output.

I have two other options for the sub to work around the above issue.
1) I can put low level rca L+R to the sub and have the sub control crossover,.
2) I have a sub out on my amp although there is no crossover control....I think it is a fixed 80Hz

If I do either of the above, do I choose sub=NO in the Ultra?
Currently, the USB out cannot use the Sub out. With the Sub out turned on, the USB out will not be highpassed and will be full range. Therefore, the sub out should be turned off.

Currently, the USB out cannot use the Sub out. With the Sub out turned on, the USB out will not be highpassed and will be full range. Therefore, the sub out should be turned off.
Ouch. I thought so. I suppose the sub slider should be greyed out? I presume the room correction is full range?

I hope this is possible at some point. I’ve had my Ultra for about 3 weeks and was (just) checking out using my Oppo 205 as an outboard DAC. The Ultra functioned nicely to control volume, but I couldn’t get the sub to respond even when hooked to the output of the Oppo. For sure it does not engage when hooked up to the Ultra when the Oppo is selected as the output. This really forces me to discard the idea of an outboard DAC, which was definitely a selling point. A passthru without the Ultra’s internal DAC processing would perhaps solve the problem, but one can’t ask for everything at this price point.

In other words: Coax and optical can be used to connect to an external DAC keeping the sub out feature.
Oh, there it is! I don’t know why I misunderstood this, but I hooked it up through coax and of course that solved it. Thank you!

Thanks guys.. I almost gave up hope until reading this thread... Coax in Da Mail!! 🙂

Back