The volume knob...

Okay, I can't be the only one.
I think the chassis and connectivity of the Wiim Ultra is great. The software, while limited in customization options, will grow with time, I trust. It sounds absolutely wonderful, and the instrument separation is a standout feature I've noticed (coming from SMSL SU-1).
However.
The volume knob is ATROCIOUS. Inexcusably bad. From my testing, the knob takes SIX full rotations to go from 0 to 100 volume. It has a plastic-on-plastic scratchy feel, with almost no weight/resistance to it. There are also no 'notches', which is a personal preference, but I generally think of being a more premium feel.
With the connectivity and presentation, the Wiim ultra comfortably fits as the keystone to a low-mid range system, and I wanted to express that I felt this was a cut corner that limits this from being a 'premium' product. I'll be keeping my unit, but I felt attention should be brought to this before others experience the same feeling that I had.

Honestly I much prefer the smooth feel of the volume knob and that it's in small increments, it's all personal preference.

That said, I doubt I'll hardly ever use the manual volume knob much, I almost always control volume at the speaker level via remote.

Yes, I raised the potential issue of the volume knob speed many weeks ago.
Still hoping they can do something with it, such as adjust volume based on rotation speed or have a speed setting in the app, like a mouse pointer!

I'd also like to see acceleration in the volume knob to allow quick, gross movements when the knob is turned quickly, but then fine-tuning when moving slowly. The default is a good starting place, but configurability would be good.

Yeah, it could feel better, but the above can be addressed in software and is the real issue. Consider improving the physical knob on the Ultra Plus (the one I'm betting is coming in 2025 with XLR jacks and a somewhat bigger display.)

Last edited:
When you control it on remote the increment was 3 and kind hard to fine tune it. It would be fine if it’s just 1.

When you control it on remote the increment was 3 and kind hard to fine tune it. It would be fine if it’s just 1.
Yep, raised that one weeks ago too!
Volume buttons on my tablet change ultra volume by 1 with a short press, and adjust volume much more quickly than wiim remote with a long press.

Yep, raised that one weeks ago too!
Volume buttons on my tablet change ultra volume by 1 with a short press, and adjust volume much more quickly than wiim remote with a long press.
I hope wiim fix this large increase of volume by 3 increment it get loud too fast and hard to fine tune with just the right amount. Increment of 1 is ideal and I don’t know why they made it jump by 3. It’s hard when you have 450 watt on each speaker with that increment. I may damage my hearing instead enjoying the music. 😆

Back