Tidal on July 24 changed everything, or nothing?

merifon

The day has come, the label "MQA" desappeared from tidal's now playing screen. Since the majority of residual MQA were 44.1KHz 16bit files, now the app most likely shows 16bit 44.1KHz Flac.
Ok we are all happy but if those files are sent to a MQA capable streamer/dac, like Bluos one of my Nad, it still recognizes MQA structure or some hidden flag and starts to MQA decode as before.
Other streamer like WiiM once first unfold capable, stop to recognize MQA even enabled and manages as normal Flac.
It seems they just changed the way Tidal app shows file nature but they didn't changed anything on files or just some flag.
From the point of view of a Bluos dac user, nothing changed at the moment and I don't know if it's a good or bad new... 😬

Logout of Tidal in BluOS and back in again and select the bitrate as it defaults to CD quality.

I listen to Madonna and her music file was mqa now it just say hi flac file.

Logout of Tidal in BluOS and back in again and select the bitrate as it defaults to CD quality.
Sorry but this was not the matter of post...
Maybe I mangled some words but the situation is that all files previously displayed as MQA by Tidal app, are now displayed as FLAC, in the way all people expected.
But, if you play those files on a MQA enabled dac, like a Bluos one, that dac anyway recognize they are MQA and activate such decoding.
Two images, one from tidal, the other from Bluos on the same playing.
Tidal says it's 44.1KHz 16bit flac, Bluos in the same time says is MQA studio master approved.
Meanwhile WiiM stopped at all to recognize it as MQA.
This could make thinking they didn't changed the files, just a flag...

1000025532.jpg1000025531.jpg

Sorry but this was not the matter of post...
Maybe I mangled some words but the situation is that all files previously displayed as MQA by Tidal app, are now displayed as FLAC, in the way all people expected.
But, if you play those files on a MQA enabled dac, like a Bluos one, that dac anyway recognize they are MQA and activate such decoding.
Two images, one from tidal, the other from Bluos on the same playing.
Tidal says it's 44.1KHz 16bit flac, Bluos in the same time says is MQA studio master approved.
Meanwhile WiiM stopped at all to recognize it as MQA.
This could make thinking they didn't changed the files, just a flag...

View attachment 9477View attachment 9478
Wiim recognize it as flac either playing it to app or tidal connect. Try to reboot bluos and see if there’s a change if not it probably need an update.

Regarding MQA derived from 44.1KHz 16bit masters and carried by 44.1KHz 16bit files, has to be said that the PCM datas content is the same of equivalent standard flac, so it's reasonable that there is no needs to build new files. Maybe they forget to blind Bluos or it uses something different to recognize MQA...

My full mqa dac only recognize it as pcm. It used to switch between the two.

Yesterday, madona file was mqa and it display mqa on dac. Today, it just pcm.

Wiim recognize it as flac either playing it to app or tidal connect. Try to reboot bluos and see if there’s a change if not it probably need an update.
Maybe I have to be more clear...
Tidal connect app and WiiM app behavior, is now what is expected: no more MQA's reported.
Bluos app, can display whatever is playing even if started from other app, like Tidal connect, in the same way WiiM app can do. If the file played from tidal connect is 192khz, Bluos reports it as 192khz.
Instead, if I play an ex MQA, using Tidal connect to Bluos or even using WiiM toslink connected to Bluos MQA capable dac, both from tidal app or WiiM app itself, once those files reach Bluos dac, they are anyway recognized as MQA, even if Tidal and WiiM don't say that.
This can only means that files have not been replaced...

My full mqa dac only recognize it as pcm. It used to switch between the two.
I can suppose that being Bluos company in depth related with MQA in some way, they don't rely on common used flags but they look in file structure. This, with no objective needs to change 44.1KHz 16bit MQA, could explain why Tidal left untouched those files so Bluos thinks there are still MQA 's.
Maybe Tidal was thinking nobody discover this... 😎

You think just mqa relabeled to flac?
As can I suppose, yes. They changed just some header, or the process simply needs some time.
Anyway don't worry, all speculations regarding lossyness of MQA, apply to the hi-res files converted in MQA.
The large majority of remaining MQA after Tidal embraced hi-res flac are 44.1KHz 16bit MQA derived from 44.1KHz 16bit masters. In this case the pcm data are identical to those of equivalent flac. MQA process just switch to custom antialias filter and the processing by a non MQA dac, it's not touched.

As can I suppose, yes. They changed just some header, or the process simply needs some time.
Anyway don't worry, all speculations regarding lossyness of MQA, apply to the hi-res files converted in MQA.
The large majority of remaining MQA after Tidal embraced hi-res flac are 44.1KHz 16bit MQA derived from 44.1KHz 16bit masters. In this case the pcm data are identical to those of equivalent flac. MQA process just switch to custom antialias filter and the processing by a non MQA dac, it's not touched.
There is this guy from YouTube user name golden sound knowledgeable on mqa maybe he can reevaluate this file.

Maybe roll out it's still on the go, now I can play in hi-res directly from Bluos app, some files that a couple of hours ago were played in CD.
I'll take a look tomorrow...

Did anyone over the last years received good news from Tidal? And did anyone really think the price reduction was for free?
If I consider the cost, the fact I don't like extra gears and extra costs for Roon or what else, the overall sound quality and the far better app, compared to Qobuz or AM (Apple Music lossyness takes it out), I think it's still the better choice... 😎

Among all those things, I still have (rarely) a scratchy distortion noise when playing at 88.2KHz with Bluos...
Their support knows but still not solves. I think WiiM support would solved in a breeze...

It is not about the sound quality, we've had this before 😉 I never ever was able to hear a difference between MQA and CD quality. Even with Spotify this is difficult sometimes. My personal issue with Tidal is their attitude to lie to the customers about MQA so f.. long.
The better app is a question of personal taste. As a pure album listener I prefer Qobuz, but thats nothing what can be discussed. Its taste.
Does qoboz offer more than tidal that’s 24/96 or 24/192? Tidal are mostly 16/44 from the artist that I’m listening.

Back