Track Order Via External USB Hard Drive

The only issue I have with track numbers via usb drive is multi disc albums. It puts all the track 1 tracks together track two together etc

I go to folder mode as a workaround

use disc tag, for LMS I use 1/2, 2/2 etc . It doesn't matter what the filename is. Although it's good practise to keep on CD1 and CD2 folders.

use disc tag, for LMS I use 1/2, 2/2 etc . It doesn't matter what the filename is. Although it's good practise to keep on CD1 and CD2 folders.
They have already confirmed that track and disc number tags are populated.

It sounds like a bug.

Last edited:
I don't agree that its good practice to split into separate disk folders - I don't want to see a double album in my library twice unless I have 2 copies of it for some reason. Just use the disc no and track no tags in the file name with appropriate no of leading zeros.

I don't agree that its good practice to split into separate disk folders - I don't want to see a double album in my library twice unless I have 2 copies of it for some reason. Just use the disc no and track no tags in the file name with appropriate no of leading zeros.

You don't see it twice, a good scanner does this. It doesn't matter, the database prog scans them and sees them.

But properly tagged, it doesn't matter if all the files are in the same directory, or seperate CD1, CD2. But if you accidenally delete disc number you're a bit knackered, so it's safer for seperate folders.

Browsing by folder is rubbish anyway.

Below image is database, LMS system

Attachments

• acdc.jpg
    acdc.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 4
You don't see it twice, a good scanner does this. It doesn't matter, the database prog scans them and sees them.

But properly tagged, it doesn't matter if all the files are in the same directory, or seperate CD1, CD2. But if you accidenally delete disc number you're a bit knackered, so it's safer for seperate folders.

Browsing by folder is rubbish anyway.

Below image is database, LMS system
You are talking to an LMS user of close to 20 years. I use it daily for many hours at a time.

I’m not sure you are correct. One of the mechanisms that the LMS scanner uses to determine what is an album is the contents of a given folder.
In my case I do have multiple copies of the same album but they sit in different folders so LMS knows they are different albums.
That said if your structure is Artist/Album/CDx it may work but I prefer using disk no in the file name as on the odd occasion that I may want to play the files with a DLNA renderer by folder browsing for experimental reasons they will be all together and in the correct order.

I don’t see how you could accidentally remove the disc number tag so I disagree that there is any safety factor involved either.

My point is that it is personal choice not good practice

"I’m not sure you are correct. One of the mechanisms that the LMS scanner uses to determine what is an album is the contents of a given folder."

I have a mixture of albums where files from each CD are in the same directory, and some are in seperate directories. .the two look the same in LMS, the only thing I have to do is make sure Album is the same, not Greatest hits CD1 and Greatest hits CD2, I have to name them both to Greatest hits.

"I’m not sure you are correct. One of the mechanisms that the LMS scanner uses to determine what is an album is the contents of a given folder."

I have a mixture of albums where files from each CD are in the same directory, and some are in seperate directories. .the two look the same in LMS, the only thing I have to do is make sure Album is the same, not Greatest hits CD1 and Greatest hits CD2, I have to name them both to Greatest hits.
The scanner logic may have been changed over time. I certainly remember separate folders produced separate albums even if both were tagged the same.
I have pretty much always adopted disc no as part of file name with all tracks of an album in one folder. As you say the db then takes care of everything else.

The scanner logic may have been changed over time. I certainly remember separate folders produced separate albums even if both were tagged the same.
I have pretty much always adopted disc no as part of file name with all tracks of an album in one folder. As you say the db then takes care of everything else.
I always use separate folders for discs of a multi-disc album. I seem to half remember having problems when I put all the tracks in the same folder with disc and track tags. I can't remember what the issue was though but the only one that makes sense is appearing as separate albums but that seems unlikely. It's probably documented somewhere on the Squeezebox forum but impossible to find.

I use the CD0X folder approach so I can have different external artwork per disc.

The only servers I've encountered issues with are Emby/Jellyfin, where for multidisc albums they expect the external artwork to be in the root of the album folder.

My tracks are named <discnumber>.<tracknumber>.extension (I did have just tracknumber but I have bash scripts that were getting too complicated), because, what's the point using anything else :)

I gave up on the concept of disc folders long ago and I no longer rely on the discnr tag. I do assign it but I simply keep a continuous numbering across all songs of one album.

I don't try to archive a CD collection and the number of discs for the same album on LP or Audio DVD or MiniDisc most probably were different anyway. :p

That is why it makes sense to use the discno in the filename e.g. 1-01-Trackname -

Hi, it would be an easy to solve if the indexing software lookd also at DISC NUMBER metadata info.
It would then just sort:
First: Disc Number
Second: Track Number

It works on volumio, foobar, etc...

Back