TV optical into Wiim Mini

biglordbunnyrabbit

Hi

I'm trying to use my speakers and sub which are plugged into my amp with my TV via an optical cable into the Wiim Mini.

So currently I have an optical cable from my TV to the WIIM and then the WIIM feeds into my amp which is feeding into my speakers.

But I can't see to get any sound, TV output is set to SPDIF

The WiiM Mini doesn’t have an optical in port, it only has an optical out, so that is why you don’t get any sound.

You could achieve what you want with a WiiM Pro, or Pro Plus, because they have optical in, and out.

You have the option of aux out from the tv to aux in on the Mini.
I would also try this option. Some TV have line out or sometimes the headphone can be Set to out line out or variable line out.

My Sony TV has a variable line out which I use for TV Audio output. In this way you also change the volume using the TV remote which would not be possible when using optical out.

If you are not happy with this solution, I would wait for the WiiM Ultra which has an HDMI Arc input.

Line or headphone outputs have definitely become rare these days. They are also more likely to picknup hum due to ground loops or a supply voltage present on the antenna cable. Talking from (bad) experience :(

However, it won't work at all the way it is right now, so something needs to be changed.

Back