Ultra Set Up for Sonos

mailman

Seriously interested in taking control from SONOS. My Sonos set up is 2 rooms: FR: Sonos ARC, 2 Play 1s (surrounds) Sonos Sub (Original large model) DEN: Denon AVR 970H, Sonos Connect, 2 Wharfdale Speakers (originals rom the 1960s), Klipsch wireless sub, Dual TT. System works great and I am happy with the sound. Streaming Apple Music, which definitely sounds better than Amazon and Spotify and even better than Deezer, at least to me. Playlists are all mixed with ripped CDs and streamed tracks. Family room ARC is connected to Samsung smart TV (2021 QLED) with HDMI.

How do I get an Ultra into this set up? Would like it in the family room. ARC is limited to HDMI. Do I need an adapter for optical to the ARC or is there a way to use the HDMI? Would simplest be HDMI ARC from TV to Ultra, SPDIF out to adapter at ARC? Would this work and would I get benefit of Ultra DAC or would it be bypassed? I'll also need to solve the Apple Music issue, but that is secondary right now. I can switch to Amazon if the Ultra works or if I get desperate I guess I could go with Eversolo, but not there yet. Any suggestions appreciated. As you can tell, I am not very well schooled in this stuff, but the music is great.

I also have a lower end Yamaha stereo receiver, which is now idle. If I cannot get something to separate from Sonos I will sell the whole thing and rebuild. These guys have been difficult for quite a while and are now seriously worse. Very tired of dealing with constant upgrades, out of the blue, that do not work without a lot of effort. Just want to set something up and listen to it.

I have an ultra connected to my pair of 5s and sub via line in it works well
I started with a WiiM mini connected the same way which does have AirPlay but I don’t use Apple Music and don’t see the sense in buying a hires streaming device to use AirPlay but that’s just me😊
I use Qobuz and Amazon hd in the WiiM app and I also have a hard drive plugged into the ultra via usb
The quality of the music seems better than when I used the Sonos app but I could be wrong 😜
I use a widget app called Sono+ for grouping and volume I rarely use the Sonos app even though I have not upgraded
I regularly group with my pair of Sonos moves with no problems but my plan is to get a class a/b amp and speakers as my main system and split the 5s and plug WiiM minis into them
Hope this gives you some ideas

Yes. Thanks. I was aware of the line in approach, but my speakers are all without line in connections. The connect has it but it's in a far way room with the receiver and phono with the WD speakers. I'll take a look at the app. Right now I am using SonoPhone, which works fine also.

I am interested in the Ultra because of the great sound quality reviews and the potential to turn Sonos speakers over to control of something more reliable, hoping the sound quality clicks and improves on the alternative streaming quality. Really appreciate your information. How do I get to a line in with what I have?

Other than using the connect you would need to buy a Sonos speaker/product with a line in sorry to be the bearer of bad news
Or scrap the lot and build a system from WiiM and separate stereo units
You might be able to get a 5 cheaper on eBay

You could also buy a Wiim Mini and group that with the Ultra and use its optical out to go into the connect. Then all you need the Sonos app for is to group the Sonos speakers as needed. It is a little messy but it works. I have found the optical cable connection of the Mini to be somewhat unreliabe (too loose) so a Pro is also an option using coax. The Pro will also allow for more future upgrades.

If Wiim ever gets the DLNA casting working, you should be able to use that to connect directly to your Sonos system. The Beta has not been updated lately and the last I knew it was just casting lossy MP3.

Other than using the connect you would need to buy a Sonos speaker/product with a line in sorry to be the bearer of bad news
Or scrap the lot and build a system from WiiM and separate stereo units
You might be able to get a 5 cheaper on eBay
I was thinking that, but wasn't sure. By using the connect, do you mean adding something like a mini to it as dtc suggests below? I did just get a line on a Five on Craigs list for a pretty decent price. Seems some people around here are getting rid of Sonos.

You could also buy a Wiim Mini and group that with the Ultra and use its optical out to go into the connect. Then all you need the Sonos app for is to group the Sonos speakers as needed. It is a little messy but it works. I have found the optical cable connection of the Mini to be somewhat unreliabe (too loose) so a Pro is also an option using coax. The Pro will also allow for more future upgrades.

If Wiim ever gets the DLNA casting working, you should be able to use that to connect directly to your Sonos system. The Beta has not been updated lately and the last I knew it was just casting lossy MP3.
Thanks very much. As you can tell, I don't understand as well as I should how all this stuff works, so messy is something I work with all the time. I enjoy putting the components together and somehow have struggled through so far. I like the flexibility of that idea. Also looking at a play five which will let me bring another room into the mix. Beginning to get the idea.

Last edited:
I was thinking that, but wasn't sure. By using the connect, do you mean adding something like a mini to it as dtc suggests below? I did just get a line on a Five on Craigs list for a pretty decent price. Seems some people around here are getting rid of Sonos.
Yes a mini would get you started and wouldn’t cost the earth its what I did to experiment before taking the plunge with the ultra
I will end up with a 5 in my kitchen with a mini so I can group my moves for garden listening and make the most out of my Sonos before they stop working
I won’t have all my speakers the same make anymore learned my lesson 👍

That "stop working" comment is noteworthy. Gets ones attention. Would you go with powered speakers or passive in a future setup?

That "stop working" comment is noteworthy. Gets ones attention. Would you go with powered speakers or passive in a future setup?
A mix I think, replaced my 2 roams with 2 echo dots and battery bases last prime day for bathroom duty and impressed with them so far
My main listening room will be a quad Artera Solus with a pair of Wharfedale Linton speakers
I will probably replace my arc surround system with a Samsung one at some point
But any powered speakers i get will probably be Amazon Echos as they are cheap so easily replaced and they don’t mess about with software too much

A mix I think, replaced my 2 roams with 2 echo dots and battery bases last prime day for bathroom duty and impressed with them so far
My main listening room will be a quad Artera Solus with a pair of Wharfedale Linton speakers
I will probably replace my arc surround system with a Samsung one at some point
But any powered speakers i get will probably be Amazon Echos as they are cheap so easily replaced and they don’t mess about with software too much
You might want to think about the use of an echo link (especially if they get reduced in price on Black Friday etc) connected to a WiiM mini to distribute WiiM audio across echos as well as per this and related links

Back