Usb connection to play flac files

gazza1101

Major Contributor
I'm going to buy the Ultra, I believe the Wiim amp has a USB input, I'm guessing it's usb 1 on the ultra as it appears to be white, is this fast enough to be able to scroll through any audio files( flac)?
If so, anyone with experience with the usb input thst can tell je if I'm better off with a ssd drive or a usb stick?

I'm going to buy the Ultra, I believe the Wiim amp has a USB input, I'm guessing it's usb 1 on the ultra as it appears to be white, is this fast enough to be able to scroll through any audio files( flac)?
If so, anyone with experience with the usb input thst can tell je if I'm better off with a ssd drive or a usb stick?
You will probably find you’ll need an external power supply to support anything other than a usb stick - the port on the Amp/Ultra only supports up to 650mA so I had to supply additional power thru a y-cable to support my 1TB SSD.

I haven’t noticed any delay in scrolling the the folder structure

You will probably find you’ll need an external power supply to support anything other than a usb stick - the port on the Amp/Ultra only supports up to 650mA so I had to supply additional power thru a y-cable to support my 1TB SSD.

Thanks for the reply, I didn't think of power.
Sounds as if a usb stick will work fine tho:)

A 512 GB stick is fine with my Amp and surely will be with the Ultra, if that's sufficient storage capacity for you.

Could you suggest an external power supply that would work with an external USB hard drive. All the devices used now have the capability to power 2TB and 5TB USB hard drives. Thanks!

If a USB hard drive is used with the Ultra or Amp is their a size limit? I use 2TB and 5TB USB hard drives and hopefully with an external power supply they will work with the Ultra.

Back