Using Pre-outs for Multi-Room Sync

AudioAmore

I have a few Wiims throughout my home, and I’ve been syncing them with my WiiM Pro Plus that’s feeding my main amp. Currently, I have my phono stage and DAC going into my WiiM, then the WiiM into the amp. However, I’d like to use my amp as it was intended…running my phono stage, the DAC for my CD transport, and my Wiim into it, using my amp as a hub.

My issue, then, is that I cannot stream all my components to other WiiM devices, as the WiiM will not be the main hub, but rather another component. So…

Would it be possible to add a second WiiM to the pre-out jack, so I can have the amp playing directly to my speakers, then the second WiiM picking up the signal for whatever I’m playing and linking to the units around my house?

Or am I over complicating it and missing a simple solution?

I have a few Wiims throughout my home, and I’ve been syncing them with my WiiM Pro Plus that’s feeding my main amp. Currently, I have my phono stage and DAC going into my WiiM, then the WiiM into the amp. However, I’d like to use my amp as it was intended…running my phono stage, the DAC for my CD transport, and my Wiim into it, using my amp as a hub.

My issue, then, is that I cannot stream all my components to other WiiM devices, as the WiiM will not be the main hub, but rather another component. So…

Would it be possible to add a second WiiM to the pre-out jack, so I can have the amp playing directly to my speakers, then the second WiiM picking up the signal for whatever I’m playing and linking to the units around my house?

Or am I over complicating it and missing a simple solution?
I used to have an AVR pre-out connected to my WiiM amp. It worked without any major problems.

And yes I think it can if you use your main amp as a preamp.

ex:
WiiM PP
TT
CD
-> Main amp -> WiiM amp -> Speakers

[Multiroom group]
WiiM amp
WiiM devices of the other room

However, I am not sure if this will work for your purposes since it will go through the WiiM amp (or another amp and WiiM) at the lower level. Also, it involves more A/D conversion, which degrades the sound quality.

Edit:
If you connect a WiiM to the preout, you may not need a WiiM PP connected to the main amplifier.

Last edited:
I used to have an AVR pre-out connected to my WiiM amp. It worked without any major problems.

And yes I think it can if you use your main amp as a preamp.

ex:
WiiM PP
TT
CD
-> Main amp -> WiiM amp -> Speakers

[Multiroom group]
WiiM amp
WiiM devices of the other room

However, I am not sure if this will work for your purposes since it will go through the WiiM amp (or another amp and WiiM) at the lower level. Also, it involves more A/D conversion, which degrades the sound quality.

Edit:
If you connect a WiiM to the preout, you may not need a WiiM PP connected to the main amplifier.

Thanks a million! I am taking delivery on my new amp in the next few days, and I am going to be setting up my system from scratch, which is why I wanted to find out BEFORE I put all the components together. In my head, it all seemed logical. But too often, logic and the real world can be different things, lol.

I will check back once everything is hooked up to let you know how it went!

Again, I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond!

You will have sync issues.
The amp to your speakers will be 0.5 sec or more ahead of the grouped wiims.
Any 'degradation' due to ad / da conversion will pale into insignificance.

You will have sync issues.
The amp to your speakers will be 0.5 sec or more ahead of the grouped wiims.
Any 'degradation' due to ad / da conversion will pale into insignificance.

That was the one thing I was afraid of...

I really want to avoid pumping everything into the WiiM, then to the amp.

Will the manual latency adjustment be a viable option? Or will it end up being just too "fiddly?"

That was the one thing I was afraid of...

I really want to avoid pumping everything into the WiiM, then to the amp.

Will the manual latency adjustment be a viable option? Or will it end up being just too "fiddly?"
As mentioned earlier, the only way to avoid the delay would be to use the main amp as a preamp.

Alternatively, you can use an AVR to adjust the delay, but this is probably not the way you want to go.

As mentioned earlier, the only way to avoid the delay would be to use the main amp as a preamp.

Alternatively, you can use an AVR to adjust the delay, but this is probably not the way you want to go.
Alrighty. Thank you for your help. I think I'm trying to put a square peg into a round hole, lol!

Again, I appreciate your time!

Not to push my luck, but I have one final question. If I stick with my current configuration--phono stage and DAC going into the WiiM, then the WiiM into my amp via optical or coax--how much is the WiiM degrading the signal? My feeling is that the optical or coax out will totally bypass the "internals," but I was just wondering if adding the WiiM into the chain at this point will have an effect.

EDIT: If I step up to an Ultra, would that make any difference at all? I currently have a Pro Plus.

EDIT 2: As this seems to go beyond the scope of the original thread, I am going to start a new thread to avoid any confusion!

Last edited:
Back