Using Ultra as a preamp can't use USB out to DAC

saberger1

If I'm using the Ultra as a preamp, connecting the Line Out to my amp, how can I use the USB connected to my external DAC to stream at the same time? I can only choose one option for audio output, either Line Out or USB Out.

What am I missing?

If I'm using the Ultra as a preamp, connecting the Line Out to my amp, how can I use the USB connected to my external DAC to stream at the same time? I can only choose one option for audio output, either Line Out or USB Out.

What am I missing?
Nothing - only one output can be active at a time.

There was chatter of being able to use analog and digital out together, but nothing has come of it yet afaik.
e.g. from the ultra faq page

Will you be able to cast to other devices while outputting to the line out? More specifically, will you be able to use the wiim ultra to output the phono stage to line out and cast to another room simultaneously?This is a feature we are currently evaluating.

Edit: that answer makes no sense, surely? Isn't that what it does right now with grouping?
Anyway, see next post...

Last edited:
Actually, this is the one I was thinking of
Can it be configured to send the audio to all output channels simultaneously -- both Analog and Digital?We can output to all channels simultaneously with software update that we will do later.

No, I have no idea how much later!

Would Ultra to DAC to Amp connections work for you and your

In theory but I would prefer to use the Ultra for its remote control. No biggie I can still use it as a pre and use its internal DAC and when I want to use the external DAC I’ll switch to a different pre. And I can still use the remote control even when using an external preamp. So all good.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Back