Virtual combined device for multi-room sync

davidscott

I have a wiim pro and now a wiim amp. Using ios it would be great to have the option of playing one or both devices synchronously by just selecting the output inside tidal or other app. It seems the only way to currently do this is to link the devices in the wiim app and then unlinking the devices—this is kind of a convoluted to regularly change and my partner isn't willing to do this. It seems like having a having an additional virtual device with linked devices would simplify this, so there could be an additional option inside tidal or other apps to play the linked devices along with the individual devices.

I have a wiim pro and now a wiim amp. Using ios it would be great to have the option of playing one or both devices synchronously by just selecting the output inside tidal or other app. It seems the only way to currently do this is to link the devices in the wiim app and then unlinking the devices—this is kind of a convoluted to regularly change and my partner isn't willing to do this. It seems like having a having an additional virtual device with linked devices would simplify this, so there could be an additional option inside tidal or other apps to play the linked devices along with the individual devices.
Welcome.

There was talk recently of persistent wiim groups, so would be good to see if that solves your partner's issues when/if it arrives ;)
I'm making the unsubstantiated assumption they will be like chromecast groups.

I don't use ios, but if you enable chromecast on both wiims and then create a chromecast group, can you cast to them?
Strangely, in spotify I can see / choose my CC groups, but in tidal I can't.
In bubbleupnp (android only) I can see my CC groups.

Edit: I just checked in Tidal again, and my CC groups are now there as a cast option.
Perhaps 'cos I was just poking around in the google home app?

Last edited:
Can’t you use airplay from the control center on iOS and choose one or more speakers as desired and key airplay 2 do the grouping? Ok, that might not be bit perfect or max resolution but like the Chromecast option it might be worth a look.

Using airplay or chromecast has the downside of being reliant on the phone for playing/sending the audio. My main reason of purchasing the wiim pro was it's ability to do tidal connect and using the wiim as the media player. It seems odd to not have the media playing ability when I would use synced devices.

Using airplay is likely the way I'll go.

I was pretty certain that CC, in the android world at least, didn't use the phone/tablet to send the audio, it's just a control point.

Back