[Feedback] Some observations since migrating from Sonos

JohnW

Major Contributor
The first of a few comments that will appear like a rant, but just my observations thus far using Wiim after moving from Sonos. It's not Sonos I know and works differently but that has to be my comparison

1 - Firmware updates.
They're a bit laborious. An update link appears next to each of my Amps in the device page, I click it and 5 minutes later it's done. Well, one is complete. I then need to do the same for the other devices. If I want to update all of them I need to be staring at my app waiting for the first to complete to move on to the next (I think) I only have three Amps so far but intend to add more so this is time consuming. With Sonos, I got a message in the app, clicked ok to update, and it updated every device in the system confirming when it was all complete; that's much slicker. I had seven Sonos Amps so it'll be more time consuming as I expand the Wiim system.

2 - Firmware Updated Banner/Notification
I get it. You need to inform us when there's been an update, but how many times? It's driving me nuts. Following a firmware update I get the banner popping up in the app, not once, but once for each device when selected and in each instance of the app it seems. Three Amps and I have the app on four wall mounted tablets and two iPhones. Am really going to see that message 18 times?

3 - Uncoordinated Grouping
I guess this is just the way the platform differs to Sonos. Yesterday on one of my wall mount tablets, I started a radio station stream 'Upstairs' and linked it to the 'Dining Room' Amp. Later my wife went into the app on her phone and stopped the stream in the Dining Room. On her app the devices were shown unlinked and so only that room stopped playing, while on my app they remained showing as linked and I needed to adjust the volume on the amp that she had stopped in order to resume the music. That confused me a bit. I guess there's no coordinator device and that's the same reason firmware updates must be carried out individually.

4 - No Landscape mode in Android app
I believe this may get addressed in a future update. At the moment I get around it with an app that forces screen orientation. Unfortunately using that and combining it with the banner that keeps popping up in Rant #2 above, I'm unable to clear that banner without shutting down the app as I can't access the confirmation on the banner (off screen) Bring on Landscape mode.

5 - No Apple Music.
Enough said, it's been covered many times but it's severely limiting for those of us who use apple extensively. I thought I could get away with Airplay but that can bring about it's own peculiarities and learning curve when multiple users are involved.

The first of a few comments that will appear like a rant, but just my observations thus far using Wiim after moving from Sonos. It's not Sonos I know and works differently but that has to be my comparison

1 - Firmware updates.
They're a bit laborious. An update link appears next to each of my Amps in the device page, I click it and 5 minutes later it's done. Well, one is complete. I then need to do the same for the other devices. If I want to update all of them I need to be staring at my app waiting for the first to complete to move on to the next (I think) I only have three Amps so far but intend to add more so this is time consuming. With Sonos, I got a message in the app, clicked ok to update, and it updated every device in the system confirming when it was all complete; that's much slicker. I had seven Sonos Amps so it'll be more time consuming as I expand the Wiim system.

I get it. You need to inform us when there's been an update, but how many times? It's driving me nuts. Following a firmware update I get the banner popping up in the app, not once, but once for each device when selected and in each instance of the app it seems. Three Amps and I have the app on four wall mounted tablets and two iPhones. Am really going to see that message 18 times?

I guess this is just the way the platform differs to Sonos. Yesterday on one of my wall mount tablets, I started a radio station stream 'Upstairs' and linked it to the 'Dining Room' Amp. Later my wife went into the app on her phone and stopped the stream in the Dining Room. On her app the devices were shown unlinked and so only that room stopped playing, while on my app they remained showing as linked and I needed to adjust the volume on the amp that she had stopped in order to resume the music. That confused me a bit. I guess there's no coordinator device and that's the same reason firmware updates must be carried out individually.

I believe this may get addressed in a future update. At the moment I get around it with an app that forces screen orientation. Unfortunately using that and combining it with the banner that keeps popping up in Rant #2 above, I'm unable to clear that banner without shutting down the app as I can't access the confirmation on the banner (off screen) Bring on Landscape mode.

5 - No Apple Music.
Enough said, it's been covered many times but it's severely limiting for those of us who use apple extensively. I thought I could get away with Airplay but that can bring about it's own peculiarities and learning curve when multiple users are involved.

1. automatic update if left unattended. Manual update is not required.

2. yes, that's right.

3. usually all devices are synced. try opening the WiiM app on two devices at the same time to check. However, sometimes it does not work. In that case, you will need to refresh the screen.

1. automatic update if left unattended. Manual update is not required.
Fair enough. I think I noticed that on Monday as I'd been away for five days and on my return I already had the newer firmware. Still an 'update all' would be preferable.

2. yes, that's right.
A maximum of once on each app instance should be all that appears IMHO. Something like 'Dining Room, Living Room and Kitchen updated to version x.xx' with an optional link to release notes. The constant bombardment of pop up update messages takes away from the reason I opened the app which is to browse and to listen to music, which is a bad thing.

3. usually all devices are synced. try opening the WiiM app on two devices at the same time to check. However, sometimes it does not work. In that case, you will need to refresh the screen.
I'd call it a bug or bad design if the app doesn't poll the online devices when opened and automatically update the group status. If the app is already open on multiple devices, it should periodically update group status. Again just my opinion. Telling my wife to remember to drag the screen to refresh will fall on deaf ears.

Times they are a-changing...Sir Bob was aware long before.
Sometimes I can not avoid the impression that "wifeys and wives" are used as camouflage for own laziness or ignorance. Proud to say that mine is different ;)

A maximum of once on each app instance should be all that appears IMHO. Something like 'Dining Room, Living Room and Kitchen updated to version x.xx' with an optional link to release notes. The constant bombardment of pop up update messages takes away from the reason I opened the app which is to browse and to listen to music, which is a bad thing.

I agree, but since here is a user community, please submit feature requests through the feedback section of the app. The more requests get, the more likely it is to be improved. 🙂

I'd call it a bug or bad design if the app doesn't poll the online devices when opened and automatically update the group status. If the app is already open on multiple devices, it should periodically update group status. Again just my opinion. Telling my wife to remember to drag the screen to refresh will fall on deaf ears.

Please note that I am not disagreeing with you.

Also, you cannot update by dragging the device screen. You have to go to another screen and back again. The WiiM app is well done, but unfortunately still not perfect.

Edit; I have previously sent them a request regarding this and it has yet to be remedied.

1 - Firmware updates.

5 - No Apple Music.
Fair enough, but have you so quickly forgotten the ongoing car crash you've left behind??

There's no denial of reality and gas-lighting here - that's worth a 1000 Sonos fanboys denying anything is awry.

Ask here, and you'll get as honest a reply and help as is possible. Also, Wiim staff contribute as and when necessary.

Hope you enjoy your new system.

Back