Volume settings when used as pre and DAC

Raphaz

I am using the WiiM Pro Plus for music services (currently mostly Spotify), for analog and digital sources (mainly Vinyl and CD) via line in, and as a DAC - the Plus is connected via LR/RCA line out to a vintage receiver which then feeds wired speakers (and a sub). So the receiver serves basically as an amp.

I mostly listen at lower volumes and only occasionally crank it up.
I like crisp clear sound in all frequencies and would like to hear details at all volume levels.
If relevant, I have 3 sets of speakers (currently wired) in a large, open space. Some will be replaced with wireless speakers soon.

What is the best setting on the Pro Plus for me to get max sound quality in this setup, at any volume?

Do I get better sound when I control the volume in the WiiM resp. music service apps (which is convenient) or should I keep the WiiM at max volume and control the volume on the receiver only?
Volume of the Pro all the way up? Fixed volume? EQ? What is pEQ? Room correction?
How does this all work together and what is the optimal solution for best souls at all volume levels?

Thank you!

Wiim set to 2v line out ('cos someone smarter than me said so a couple of days ago for sinad reasons iirc); mostly control volume using wiim too.
e.g. set receiver to "11 o'clock" so there's a max volume.

To be frank, there's probably not going to be a great deal of noticable difference.
In theory, wiim's digital volume control is going to be better (less distortion) than an old analog resistive control. Or a modern one either.

For me, your comment about convenience sums it up - easy to use often equates to more enjoyable.

As for eq etc., well, do a search. You'll find far more than you'll care to read ;)
Essentially, tweak the sound more to your liking.

I have the similar setup as @Mr Ee.

First, I turn down the volume on the amp then turn the WiiM to full volume. Next, I turn up the volume on the amp to the max volume I listen to music at. Finally, I turn the volume of the WiiM down a bit and then back up to normal volume I listen to music at.

Normally, the volume is controlled by WiiM, but since the WiiM volume is always near maximum, there is no risk of ear or speaker damage in the unlikely event that the WiiM volume setting is reset by an update or other means.

And because I am very anxious, I use a silicone ring to hold the volume knob on the amp.

1000000536.jpg

The silicone rubber used here is cut from the root of a finger sack. 😁

1000000537.jpg

I have the similar setup as @Mr Ee.

First, I turn down the volume on the amp then turn the WiiM to full volume. Next, I turn up the volume on the amp to the max volume I listen to music at. Finally, I turn the volume of the WiiM down a bit and then back up to normal volume I listen to music at.

Normally, the volume is controlled by WiiM, but since the WiiM volume is always near maximum, there is no risk of ear or speaker damage in the unlikely event that the WiiM volume setting is reset by an update or other means.

And because I am very anxious, I use a silicone ring to hold the volume knob on the amp.

View attachment 8360

The silicone rubber used here is cut from the root of a finger sack. 😁

View attachment 8361Creative!

I am using the WiiM Pro Plus for music services (currently mostly Spotify), for analog and digital sources (mainly Vinyl and CD) via line in, and as a DAC - the Plus is connected via LR/RCA line out to a vintage receiver which then feeds wired speakers (and a sub). So the receiver serves basically as an amp.

I mostly listen at lower volumes and only occasionally crank it up.
I like crisp clear sound in all frequencies and would like to hear details at all volume levels.
If relevant, I have 3 sets of speakers (currently wired) in a large, open space. Some will be replaced with wireless speakers soon.

What is the best setting on the Pro Plus for me to get max sound quality in this setup, at any volume?

Do I get better sound when I control the volume in the WiiM resp. music service apps (which is convenient) or should I keep the WiiM at max volume and control the volume on the receiver only?
Volume of the Pro all the way up? Fixed volume? EQ? What is pEQ? Room correction?
How does this all work together and what is the optimal solution for best souls at all volume levels?

Thank you!
I too am interested!

Back