WiiM Amp line in Resolution for vinyl

JayRP

What setting do you use for the line in resolution when connecting a turntable? I think I get the best results at 44.1 hz 24 bits but wonder if there’s an optimal setting for vinyl?

I have neither a TT nor an amp. However...
Even if someone else were to say, for example, they use 96khz, would that make you switch considering you've already determined what your optimal setting is?
😈

I guess I'm suggesting that technically optimal doesn't necessarily equate to optimal enjoyment.
Just look at all those who prefer nos and R2R dacs (stirs the hornet's nest... :ROFLMAO:)

I use 96kHz/24bit but never investigated if I would prefer any other setting. The optimal setting is what YOU like best.

I’m don’t have an Amp at present but I have done a lot of needledropping over the years with various ADCs and I can safely say it’s not the resolution that counts, it’s the physical quality of the ADC and its internal chip.
My current set up uses a 24/192 capable device but drops at 16/44.1 made with this sound infinitely better than a 16/44.1 drop using an inferior ADC. I can only just detect an improvement over 16/44.1 if I move to 24/96 using this ADC.

Thread 'My WiiM Amp tests' https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/my-wiim-amp-tests.1873/

seem same entry processing chip etc etc
And since the ADC is the same, sound is the same, right? Details of implementation, power supply and casing don't matter, because they only matter with DACs, right? ;-)

Back to more serious points: This was the test of the PCB version 2 unit. @onlyoneme didn't perform any testing of the analogue input with his PCB version 5 unit. He didn't attempt to measure difference due to different sample rate and bit depth settings. And for a good reason: Until we get the USB digital out feature with the WiiM Amp there is no way of precisely analysing the ADC behaviour (at least not without opening the case, which might influence the measurements).

Could you just say in your own words what you want to say to the OP without making us all guess?

Last edited:
not much to say...
I know well what you are describing, I have the opportunity to encounter some adc...
just that there is nothing shocking in such products to have limited inputs in quality, designed as an extra for tape tuner or phono stage etc. (for digital, it has toslink)..

Limited inputs in quality or inputs limited in quality?

The original question was which resolution setting to use. Is your answer that it doesn't matter because of the "limited quality"?

I'll repeat what I said earlier. From practical experience I know that the choice of resolution is secondary to the choice of equipment (ADC) used.
At this stage I don't think the ADC in the WiiM has been properly measured.

There is a current thread at the VinylStudio forums on this very subject - ignore the fact he talks about digitising for use with LMS that is irrelevant.

You will note that some of the ADCs mentioned are big ticket items over £/$2,000 but some are £/$200 ish - https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2829.0

I can't see the ADC in the WiiM being in the same category as even the the £/$200 devices but ....

There is a current thread at the VinylStudio forums on this very subject - ignore the fact he talks about digitising for use with LMS that is irrelevant.

You will note that some of the ADCs mentioned are big ticket items over £/$2,000 but some are £/$200 ish - https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2829.0

I can't see the ADC in the WiiM being in the same category as even the the £/$200 devices but ....
In that thread the OP is adding EQ to get the "Vinyl Sound". Doesn't he realise that digitising vinyl gives you the vinyl sound? 🤣

Back