WiiM Amp - underpowered or just fine?

PawelTheBeginner

Hi,

so I'm a total beginner to all this and I need some advice. I want to set-up a simple stereo in my living room, mostly for TV, but also for music.

I'm really into WiiM Amp and I was thinking about pairing it with Klipsch R-50M.
And now my struggle begins, because when I read the numbers, the R-50Ms need continuous 75W at 8 ohms, but WiiM Amp can deliver only ~60W at 8 ohms.

So I read numerous articles and watch videos on amp-speakers matching, and the rule of thumb I heard is that the amp should have 1.5-2 times the power output that the speaker needs (to have the headroom, prevent clipping and all of that).
On the other hand - I read multiple comments from people pairing (seemingly) underpowered amps with their speakers and they reported great results (there are even few threads on this forum like this).

My question is: what's up with this amp-speaker power matching, should I really care about having the power headroom for my speakers? If I go with those R-50Ms and WiiM Amp, wouldn't it cause harm to the speakers in the long-term? Will the "clipping" be hearable at low-medium volumes?

Hi,

so I'm a total beginner to all this and I need some advice. I want to set-up a simple stereo in my living room, mostly for TV, but also for music.

I'm really into WiiM Amp and I was thinking about pairing it with Klipsch R-50M.
And now my struggle begins, because when I read the numbers, the R-50Ms need continuous 75W at 8 ohms, but WiiM Amp can deliver only ~60W at 8 ohms.

So I read numerous articles and watch videos on amp-speakers matching, and the rule of thumb I heard is that the amp should have 1.5-2 times the power output that the speaker needs (to have the headroom, prevent clipping and all of that).
On the other hand - I read multiple comments from people pairing (seemingly) underpowered amps with their speakers and they reported great results (there are even few threads on this forum like this).

My question is: what's up with this amp-speaker power matching, should I really care about having the power headroom for my speakers? If I go with those R-50Ms and WiiM Amp, wouldn't it cause harm to the speakers in the long-term? Will the "clipping" be hearable at low-medium volumes?
Klipsch R50M don't need 75W. That is the maximum they can take. They will be fine.

Klipsch R50M don't need 75W. That is the maximum they can take.
Without being permanently destroyed. There's no guarantee they sound any good when fed that power continuously.

@PawelTheBeginner, also don't get fooled by Klipsch calling these speakers "8 ohms compatible" (they just do so because it gives better looking efficiency numbers). I didn't find any measurements for this particular speaker, but many models by Klipsch and others are known to have their frequency dependant complex load to dip below 4 ohms. Not a problem with the WiiM AMP, it can drive low loads just fine.

I use audiolabs 8000sx 60w amps class ab into 8 ohm with celestion a compacts

Plenty powerful enough. Easily go to 90db In fact for music you only need a few watts.

60w is fine.

I have 200w amps also if I was inputting 200 w continuous into them I'd be deaf and blow the speakers.

I have tested the WiiM Amp against other Amps with more power (see my other threads) and came to the conclusion that the power of the WiiM is enough even for listening loud (my speakers are 89db sensitivity).

I now have a Purifi Amp with 425W at 4ohms and don‘t hear a difference.

Back