WiiM Pro + IPad + NAS + SMB issues

mrdollinger

Hi everyone :)

OK so this is an issue that I'm a little confused about. To add a bit of context, I've been setting up a WiiM Pro for someone. The selling point for me was the apps recently-added ability to access media via an SMB file share, which I've been wanting to use to play audio from a NAS with minimal changes to the NAS. I've been using the information provided at https://faq.wiimhome.com/support/so...nd-accessing-smb-shared-files-in-the-wiim-app to try and achieve this. I've been hitting one snag.

I have managed to connect two Android mobile phones to the local network, have them connect to the WiiM, and stream audio from the SMB file share using the above instructions without issue. Using two Windows workstations, I've also been able to do the same, though using a slightly different approach - with the WiiM Home app, I tell it the music library is on a network drive rather than in C:\Users\[username]\Music - again no problem.

While these all work as expected, for convenience we're wanting to use an IPad to do the same thing. But no dice. The IPAD can successfully see and connect to the WiiM, so it's successfully made it onto the same network as the NAS and the WiiM. However, when I try and add the file share using the above intructions and in an identical way to the Android devices, the second I try and tell it to conect I get an error "Unable to establish a connection". That error appears instantly - there is not even a delay to suggest it's trying to connect. Unfortunately, I have yet to find any way to get the WiiM app to give me any more meaningful information on _why_ it can't connect which would kinda be useful! It's just a generic error message.

I'm at a bit of a loss - I'm doing this in the exact same way that I have done on Android, and on Android it works. On the IPad it doesn't. I'm at a bit of a loss because I would have thought this would work in the same way on both Android and IOS, yet something seems to be tripping it up on IOS, and it doesn't seem to be giving me a lot of information on what that somethign is. I'm hoping someone may have come across this before and be able to give me some pointers on what I should be looking at.

Welcome.

I'm going to ask the possibly obvious questions that don't address your specific question!
Which NAS? Why SMB?
i.e. it's possible the nas supports running a media server, and that would almost certainly be a better experience than smb.

I don't have an ipad to try for myself, so that's the best you'll get from me ;)

I also get “connection failed” against two different NAS SMB shares
I know the paths and credentials are correct so suspect it may be the Samba version on the NAS

Which NAS? Why SMB?

The NAS is an Asustor 1104t.

The main reason I wanted to go with this approach is a kind of simplicity - once this is set up I will likely be the person expected to support it, and this support will likely be done remotely. I'm dealing with someone with less technical skill who would probably only update anything if I did it for them so I'm hesitant to add that 'moving part' of a DLNA - it's one more thing to have break and have to fix remotely, it's one more thing that will probably only ever get updated every other month when I happen to go out there and think to do it.

Even if you get it working you are likely to hit the “album tracks aren’t in the right order” issue unless the file naming convention is top notch. I’d rethink use of basic file sharing and opt for a music server instead.

I am not an apple user but maybe configure the NAS to at least SMB v2/v3. Many applications refuse to work with SMB v1. Just an idea.

I already have the NAS configured to use SMB2 minimum and SMB3 tops. That was quite deliberate on my part - something something security vulnerabilities something something WannaCry :)

It is possible that I may have to do the reverse - actually set it to allow SMB1 if that's all the IPAD talks - but for that above reason I want to be sure that that's the only solution here.

I'm still thinking installing minimserver from the nas's app centre page might be best :)
Good luck!

I also get “connection failed” against two different NAS SMB shares
I know the paths and credentials are correct so suspect it may be the Samba version on the NAS

Are you able to do a quick test just because it may be a bit before I can get access to that ipad again - I assume you are using \\servername\share - to test whether the last post might be part of the issue, are you able to use \\ipaddress\share?

I also use the mimim server (on QNAP NAS) and can recommend it without reservation 👍. However, according to his explanation, DLNA is not desired.
To be fair, I don't think the idea of using a DLNA is at all terrible. If this were my own setup I would definitely consider it. I'm just thinking it's one more thing to break, and one more thing to almost never get any updates unless I go over and do them myself. The initial aim was to try and keep it simple with as few moving parts as possible as it would not only be less for me to have to update when I get the chance, but it will be fewer bits to go wrong and have to troubleshoot remotely. I'm basically trying to use the KISS principle so that once it's setup, it's less likely to break and for me to receive constant support calls to fix it :)

Not done a thing to minimserver on my qnap since installing it quite some time ago.
Set up both so there's a fallback either way!

...the same here: Never any problems with the MinimServer (been using it for about 6 years, if I remember correctly. Only carried out a few updates via MinimWatch which were not even necessary 😉)

Are you able to do a quick test just because it may be a bit before I can get access to that ipad again - I assume you are using \\servername\share - to test whether the last post might be part of the issue, are you able to use \\ipaddress\share?
I was trying with \\IPaddress anyway. I know it works from other apps on the iPhone

Back