Wiim Pro latency

Percussive

Hi, everyone!
I stumbled upon a review (I think by Darko Audio) that said that there is a substantial latency on the optical input when he connected his TV. But I think he also mentioned that there will be a low-latency option in an update. Can anyone confirm any of this?
Also, does it automatically switch signal from input and from streaming?

I was also planning on putting another DAC between the Wiim Pro and my amp. Would this add more latency?

Sorry for the noobism of this enquiery, but I couldn't find answers anywhere...

Hi, everyone!
I stumbled upon a review (I think by Darko Audio) that said that there is a substantial latency on the optical input when he connected his TV. But I think he also mentioned that there will be a low-latency option in an update. Can anyone confirm any of this?
Can't confirm, but others haven't characterized the latency as "substantial". But then different people are likely to have varied perceptions of it, with some not noticing anything off-putting at all.
Also, does it automatically switch signal from input and from streaming?
I believe WiiM has said in another thread that the input will switch to the active source. Not sure what happens when both inputs are actively pushing content, though.
I was also planning on putting another DAC between the Wiim Pro and my amp. Would this add more latency?
Well, putting an additional device in the signal path, it has to. How much probably depends on a few variables.
Sorry for the noobism of this enquiery, but I couldn't find answers anywhere...
Of course, the fix for latency for use with a screen is to have a television capable of adjusting for it. A very common feature, given how many people feed their audio signal through various kinds of A/V receivers, etc.

Thank you for the reply!
Unfortunately, at this moment I don't have a tv with a video delay option. I mean, I can make a completely different setup, but the Wiim Pro seemed like a solution for all my first world problems.

Thank you for the reply!
Unfortunately, at this moment I don't have a tv with a video delay option. I mean, I can make a completely different setup, but the Wiim Pro seemed like a solution for all my first world problems.
This may be the known issue listed here and with an estimated fix date of 31st December 2022:

I have noticed the exact same problem on my WiiM Pro. High input latency for the SPDIF port, which results in noticeable lack of sync between the image and sound when using the WiiM with SPDIF input to watch TV.

My setup is TV -> SPDIF -> WiiM -> Coax -> DAC -> Amplifier

I tried running the "sync audio" tool, which reported 16ms latency. But I still noticed an AV sync issue. I also tried manually adjusting the latency, but that setting didn't seem to do anyting no matter which latency value I chose

I opened a support ticket with WiiM about this. They confirmed the that the SPDIF input currently has a latency of 85ms (this seems like quite a lot) and that they are working on a fix that would reduce it to 25ms "in the next firmware release". But I couldn't get confirmation on when that release was coming (or that this improvement would be included for sure).

Be thankful that Wiim are transparent and honest enough to admit to this delay, and to their apparent commitment to resolve it.
From other forums I've read, it's not unknown for some other manufacturers to try to skirt around such a delay and pretty much refuse to acknowledge it being a problem.
I'm fairly sure I recall the classic phrase "as designed" being used at least once...

Thinking of that fairly large delay got me thinking of Bruce Lee movies, which got me thinking of Republica / Speed Ballards / Kung Fu Movies...
Time to fire up the mini !

I have tv audio going out of sync intermittently. Going into Audio Input setting and selecting optical again fixes.

Back