Wiim Pro Plus not sounding right when streaming from NAS

bsacco335

My Pro Plus sounds weirdly thin when I stream my FLAC files on my NAS drive. Did I set it up incorrectly?

HOw do I delete the setup and start new again setting it up correctly?

My system is feeding a wireless signal to my Wiim Pro Plus then directly into a Decware Rachel to 1980 KLipsh LaScala with ALK crossovers.

Thanks, bob

What server software are you using on your NAS? What format and resolution are they and is that accurately reflected on the WiiM Home app Now Playing screen? If you are connecting via the Pro Plus RCA outputs, is the line out level set appropriately in its audio settings?

Thanks for the reply.

What server software are you using on your NAS? --- Synology DS220+

What format and resolution are they and is that accurately reflected on the WiiM Home app Now Playing screen? ---- Can't find what you are asking

If you are connecting via the Pro Plus RCA outputs, is the line out level set appropriately in its audio settings? YES, I am connecting Pro Plus RCA outputs. NOt sure what you mean by "set appropriately"

Thanks for the reply.

What server software are you using on your NAS? --- Synology DS220+

I guess you’re using Media Server? Has it defaulted to transcoding your flac files to MP3?
What format and resolution are they and is that accurately reflected on the WiiM Home app Now Playing screen? ---- Can't find what you are asking

In the WiiM Home app, when a track is playing, there should be a play bar at the bottom of the devices screen. When you tap on that, or on the track info on your WiiM device panel, it should open up a full Now Playing screen showing the album art and track info. Underneath that you should see info including the bit depth and sample rate, which should give you an indication of the resolution of the track that’s playing.

If you are connecting via the Pro Plus RCA outputs, is the line out level set appropriately in its audio settings? YES, I am connecting Pro Plus RCA outputs. NOt sure what you mean by "set appropriately"

By appropriately, I mean it should be set at a level that matches the inputs on your amp. Normally, I’d start with the lowest value and if that feels it’s not delivering a high enough signal when your amp is set to a moderate volume, I’d then try the next level up. You don’t necessarily want to push it to its highest level as that might overload the amp - find the level that suits you and your kit.

I'm using Plex Media server. THe streaming is near 800 , 16bit and 44 khz. Is there a better media streamer than Plex? Do I have it set correctly?

No dropouts or distortion. Just really weak bass even though I have the bass boosted on the eq. Just overall really thin sounding.
Do a factory reset and if the problem persist send message using wiim app. This will send log on your device for them to troubleshoot.

Do you have the same problem when streaming from online sources ?
Even when I stream directly from Spotify it’s also thin. I need to establish a series of troubleshooting steps. Between the wireless signal to the wiim software/hardware to plex media server… it’s all confusing to me

It’s not the wifi signal. If it was the signal you’d get drop outs, the audio would break up. I assume you get an uninterrupted stream, only the sound is wrong.

Have you listened to music on this system that sounded “right”? What changed since then?

Assuming your stereo is capable of producing sound that you would classify as “full” it’s probably one of these:
- a wrong setting in the software of your Wiim (EQ setting for example)
- the cable from your Wiim to your amplifier
- the cable(s) from your amplifier to your speakers

It’s not the wifi signal. If it was the signal you’d get drop outs, the audio would break up. I assume you get an uninterrupted stream, only the sound is wrong.

Have you listened to music on this system that sounded “right”? What changed since then?

Assuming your stereo is capable of producing sound that you would classify as “full” it’s probably one of these:
- a wrong setting in the software of your Wiim (EQ setting for example)
- the cable from your Wiim to your amplifier
- the cable(s) from your amplifier to your speakers
It also possible that the WiiM is defective...

another possibility is that you are really used to a sound with over saturated bass and you find a clean sound 'thin' :)

What are you comparing with ? Did you try turning the WiiM EQ completely off ? Check your amp input settings... Do you have an external DAC (or can borrow one) to test without the WiiM own ?

I'm using Plex Media server. THe streaming is near 800 , 16bit and 44 khz. Is there a better media streamer than Plex? Do I have it set correctly?
You can monitor Plex for any transcoding by pointing a browser at Plex. Way at the bottom, there is the 'console' which shows a live log in Plex server.
1716184901065.png

Back