Wiim Pro Plus not sounding right when streaming from NAS

bsacco335

My Pro Plus sounds weirdly thin when I stream my FLAC files on my NAS drive. Did I set it up incorrectly?

HOw do I delete the setup and start new again setting it up correctly?

My system is feeding a wireless signal to my Wiim Pro Plus then directly into a Decware Rachel to 1980 KLipsh LaScala with ALK crossovers.

Thanks, bob

It also possible that the WiiM is defective...

another possibility is that you are really used to a sound with over saturated bass and you find a clean sound 'thin' :)

What are you comparing with ? Did you try turning the WiiM EQ completely off ? Check your amp input settings... Do you have an external DAC (or can borrow one) to test without the WiiM own ?
I suppose what I'm really experiencing here is a BIG JUMP up in accuracy of the orig recording....I guess. I mean, this tube amp (Decware) and my Klipsch LaScala's are reproducing the audio and the original recording flaws in my estimation. I did find that when I plugged in a CD into my crappy CD player there was a big jump in audio quality vs. playing from a wireless signal from Spotify via my Wiim Pro Plus. Maybe that's what I'm hearing??? I still have not solved my NAS streaming via Plex Media server. It sounds really bad. I don't know if it's a Plex media server issue or a Wiim issue. Hard to tell since I can't any response back from Plex and I'm really a newbie when it comes to NAS serving. btw, yes I have the EQ turned on to a custom setting that looks like "V" shape to boost bass. If I didn't have that on the sound would really suck.

I still have not solved my NAS streaming via Plex Media server. It sounds really bad. I don't know if it's a Plex media server issue or a Wiim issue. Hard to tell since I can't any response back from Plex and I'm really a newbie when it comes to NAS serving.
To rule out Plex why don't you install MinimServer as it won't modify the audio signal - without a fair bit of configuration.
It's a package on Synology so shouldn't be more than a couple of clicks.

This is currently my hardware setup. The only thing missing here is a phono pre amp. It terms of the software variables I'm finding Plex media server extremely complicated and impossible to understand. Since there is no support for Plex I'm pretty much lost at the moment.

Attachments

• stereo setup 2024.png
    stereo setup 2024.png
    397.3 KB · Views: 12
You still haven't said what you are comparing it with. Which sources have you used that don't sound thin? What does lack of headroom sound like? ----- Using a CD player and inserting a Store-bought well recorded CD does sound better. Does that answer your question? I don't own a phono pre amp yet so I can't play any LPs to compare that variable. SO, at the moment the only sources I have are using Wiim app and using Spotify via a wireless signal or using a CD in a CD player.

in regards to Plex Media Server, I'm totally out of my depth. I can't even manage the everyday maintenance on this thing because there is no support and I'm not an Network engineer. Plex offers absolutely no support. Synology is basically the same. I really regret buying my Synology NAS because of this reason. If you are a newbie like me getting into Streaming your own FLAC files are virtually impossible

You still haven't said what you are comparing it with. Which sources have you used that don't sound thin? What does lack of headroom sound like? ----- Using a CD player and inserting a Store-bought well recorded CD does sound better. Does that answer your question? I don't own a phono pre amp yet so I can't play any LPs to compare that variable. SO, at the moment the only sources I have are using Wiim app and using Spotify via a wireless signal or using a CD in a CD player.
Spotify is known for poor sound quality, try TIDAL or Qobuz

So, MinimServer is another way to serve all my FLAC files using my NAS?
Minimserver is an alternative piece of software that runs on your Synology NAS - it reads the files and presents an index of them to the WiiM Home App for you to play. It is considered to be better than Synology's Media Server and better than Plex (for music) but it does essentially the same job.
If you were to compare the SQ between the Synology Media Server and Mininserver I don't expect there would be any difference but the Minimserver interface is better. From the sounds of it (no pun intended) Plex may be transcoding your FLACs and hence is affecting SQ.

Correct. It's very robust with great support from the developer, and compatible with the WiiM app.
Yes, I was reading others complaining about how complex Plex is and how it is really better for movies not music. ANyhow, I'll have to learn how to get it installed on my Synology NAS.

Back