WiiM Pro + Sound Not Synched with Echo Devices

ColinByTheSea

My WiiM Pro + doesn’t sync with Amazon Echo devices. I have 2 Echo dots as a stereo pain in one room, an echo pop in another and an echo pop in the same room as the WiiM set to play on the WiiM.

Trying to play BBC 6 Music using BBC Sounds through a group which includes the stereo pair, Echo Pop in another room and the WiiM results in the Echo devices all being in sync but the WiiM on my hifi system being out of sync. Sometimes it doesn’t start at all and very occasionally it’s in sync.

I’ve played around with settings without success. Not tried any other streaming services as I use Tidal as my music source and, for some reason, Amazon still don’t support it in the UK.

Anyone had success achieving this?

Solution
A sort of solution has been found.

When a station from BBC Sounds is started from the WiiM remote control using voice and played on the group it starts in sync every time. When it’s started on the Alexa devices it either doesn’t start on the WiiM or plays out of sync.

So I have a way to get output from BBC sounds to the group. Think it’s one of those things we have to hope BBC, Amazon or WiiM fix with a software update in the future.
I’d try rebooting your router, your echos and your WiiM device to see if that helps. If not, send WiiM a ticket when it next happens.

Re Tidal availability on Alexa in the UK, that’s entirely down to Tidal, not Amazon.

The WiiM is connected to old school analogue1990s Quad equipment through line out.

The only synching I can find on the Alexa app is for devices connected by Bluetooth.
Have you tried the WiiM Pro+ auto sync?

My AVR has a delay due to DSP. Because of this, if I put the WiiM connected to the AVR in the same group as the echo device, it will not sync. (Usually I can sync by putting the AVR in direct mode).

So I tested to see if the auto-sync feature of WiiM works with alexa group. The results are good and it appears to be syncing without any problems.

Here are the steps
  1. play music in the Alexa group that includes Pro+
  2. Stop playback and lower the volume on the Pro+ sufficiently.
  3. In the device settings of the WiiM home app, perform an auto-sync of the Pro+.
  4. Play music in the group, turn the Pro+ volume back, and press the mute button to confirm that the sync is complete.

At least, if the delay is caused by the downstream (amp) of the WiiM device, this should solve the problem. However, if upstream is not synchronized, it may not be possible to solve the problem.

Anyway, please give it a try.😄

I’d try rebooting your router, your echos and your WiiM device to see if that helps. If not, send WiiM a ticket when it next happens.

Re Tidal availability on Alexa in the UK, that’s entirely down to Tidal, not Amazon.

I’m sure Tidal will sort it out eventually. They can’t ignore Eco devices forever.

I’m sure Tidal will sort it out eventually. They can’t ignore Eco devices forever.
Have you tried the WiiM Pro+ auto sync?

My AVR has a delay due to DSP. Because of this, if I put the WiiM connected to the AVR in the same group as the echo device, it will not sync. (Usually I can sync by putting the AVR in direct mode).

So I tested to see if the auto-sync feature of WiiM works with alexa group. The results are good and it appears to be syncing without any problems.

Here are the steps
  1. play music in the Alexa group that includes Pro+
  2. Stop playback and lower the volume on the Pro+ sufficiently.
  3. In the device settings of the WiiM home app, perform an auto-sync of the Pro+.
  4. Play music in the group, turn the Pro+ volume back, and press the mute button to confirm that the sync is complete.

At least, if the delay is caused by the downstream (amp) of the WiiM device, this should solve the problem. However, if upstream is not synchronized, it may not be possible to solve the problem.

Anyway, please give it a try.😄
Tried this and every time the WiiM sets a 2ms delay which doesn’t solve the problem. Interestingly it Bly plays the synchronising noise on the WiiM not the Echo devices.

When a station from BBC Sounds is started from the WiiM remote control using voice and played on the group it starts in sync every time. When it’s started on the Alexa devices it either doesn’t start on the WiiM or plays out of sync.

So I have a way to get output from BBC sounds to the group. Think it’s one of those things we have to hope BBC, Amazon or WiiM fix with a software update in the future.

Solution
I think you have a snowball’s chance of that happening tbh. Tidal support on Alexa was released in the USA in Nov 2018, and if you’re a long time user of echo devices, you’ll know that a lot of features never make it across the pond. On top of that, I’m not convinced it delivers anything better than its lossy catalogue, perhaps CD 16/44.1 quality as best.
If you want full Alexa support and hi res, there’s really only one option - Amazon Music Unlimited.

It would be beneficial if you reported this to WiiM by raising a ticket after having tried it first from your echo, and then from the WiiM remote. I doubt the BBC or even Amazon would budge when a third party device is mentioned…

Back