Wiim Smart Speaker

ihearurdog

I'm hoping to see a Wiim "smart" speaker sometime soon. Really, just a standalone speaker with Wiim smarts inside would do it for most of my needs. In other words, put a Wiim Pro inside of a powered speaker. It would be nice if two of them could be setup in a stereo pair. Some locations around the house just don't really fit a Wiim + full sized stereo speakers.

I'm surprised to not really see many requests for this sort of device around the forums (this is all I've found), so I'm curious what standalone speakers people are using with their Wiim setups. I've seen talk of the "Linkplay" protocol that Wiim is apparently based on, but there don't really seem to be any viable speakers available based on this tech and it's not clear how well these would integrate anyway (could it group with my existing Wiims when I'm sending audio to a Wiim using Tidal Connect or Roon?). I can use any other speakers that incorporate Airplay and make that work okay, but then these speakers lack some of the nice functionality of the Wiim. I've looked around for some small powered speakers in the "can shape" similar to many smart speakers that I could combine with a Wiim device, but these don't really seem to exist.

I never understood such Roon bashing, often from people who never tried it. What you call "silly money" I call "reasonable" for a brilliant product. Worth every Cent. Works from the very first moment. For Roon cheap hardware is available that you also need for LMS. The most expensive subscription tier is 14 € per month in Germany. Is that silly? Works out of the box without all this plugin hassles and is in my world the answer for nearly every audio question.
Of course, if one likes coding, command lines and try and error one could save a few Euros.
My preferences are different.
LMS is installed in pretty much the same way as Roon but it also runs on a Raspberry Pi. No coding by the user required. I believe Roon doesn't have Deezer or Spotify either. Maybe Roon has some advantages but I listen to radio and local music and can't imagine Roon would improve the way I do that.

LMS is installed in pretty much the same way as Roon but it also runs on a Raspberry Pi. No coding by the user required. I believe Roon doesn't have Deezer or Spotify either. Maybe Roon has some advantages but I listen to radio and local music and can't imagine Roon would improve the way I do that.
Agreed, your way and your use case. But what is your motivation to bash another way? 15 € p/month? This is my point. The bashing seems to be also one-directional. (By the way, Roon's handling of local stored music is the best I've ever experienced.)

Agreed, your way and your use case. But what is your motivation to bash another way? 15 € p/month? This is my point. The bashing seems to be also one-directional. (By the way, Roon's handling of local stored music is the best I've ever experienced.)
It is simply the cost. It adds up. You can double that cost if you subscribe to Tidal or Qobuz as well. I'm just tight 😀

Back