Wiim Ultra as a pre amplifier

aguzz132

Hi everyone!

My current setup: Wiim Pro outputting via coaxial to a Geshelli J2S with Burson Vivid V7 opamps, RCA output to a NAD C328 integrated amplifier, connected to Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 speakers.

I'm considering an upgrade in terms of amplification. I'm thinking of moving to separates, with a power amp on one side and another device handling preamplification.

I'm interested in the Wiim Ultra as a replacement for my Wiim Pro, but I'm unsure whether to use it as a preamplifier or to get a passive preamp, like the Topping Pre90, for example. Would there be any benefit to using a passive preamp, or does the Ultra perform well enough as a preamplifier?

Thanks!

The Ultra is a preamp. That’s its job.

That and streaming, DAC, DSP, phono.

Whether or not it’s good enough depends on whether you believe reviews.

Hi everyone!

My current setup: Wiim Pro outputting via coaxial to a Geshelli J2S with Burson Vivid V7 opamps, RCA output to a NAD C328 integrated amplifier, connected to Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 speakers.

I'm considering an upgrade in terms of amplification. I'm thinking of moving to separates, with a power amp on one side and another device handling preamplification.

I'm interested in the Wiim Ultra as a replacement for my Wiim Pro, but I'm unsure whether to use it as a preamplifier or to get a passive preamp, like the Topping Pre90, for example. Would there be any benefit to using a passive preamp, or does the Ultra perform well enough as a preamplifier?

Thanks!
It’s 3 function in one box, streamer, dac and preamp.

I know that but I want to know if the performance of the digital preamp part is good enough to not consider a separate analog preamp after the DAC conversion.

I know that but I want to know if the performance of the digital preamp part is good enough to not consider a separate analog preamp after the DAC conversion.
I’m currently using it as 3 functions dac, streamer and preamp. It provides high level of performance considering its price point. Sound is transparent free from coloration.

Hi everyone!

Thanks!
The pro is a very good digital preamp used with an external dac . I wouldnt think the Ultra is better sounding in digital domain . The digital volume control in pro is very good sounding .

If you buy a new amplifier , buy a power amp instead like HYPEX ncore or audiophonics 3e audio tpa3255 . In my opinion, latest class D sounds clearer than any older class A/B .

Last edited:
What's a good list of power amps to match the Ultra too?
Just realised that using it as a fixed level line in to my yamaha A-S501 means that the sub management doesn't work.

What's a good list of power amps to match the Ultra too?
Just realised that using it as a fixed level line in to my yamaha A-S501 means that the sub management doesn't work.
The Ultra is very flexible and versatile regarding the choice of power amps, since it covers a wide range of maximum output voltages to match most any amp's gain.

The V3 Mono amplifiers are a pretty obvious choice and they sure sound good to me. I'm a little bit surprised by the amount of heat they generate. But there are lots of other options, depending on how much you want to spend.

Some expensive options once you start searching, even from Topping.

I'm intent on doing this as cheap as practical so a pair of V3s are on their way.

Try it and if you are not happy with the result you can go shopping for an analog preamp.

The pro is a very good digital preamp used with an external dac . I wouldnt think the Ultra is better sounding in digital domain . The digital volume control in pro is very good sounding .

If you buy a new amplifier , buy a power amp instead like HYPEX ncore or audiophonics 3e audio tpa3255 . In my opinion, latest class D sounds clearer than any older class A/B .
Greetings Musician. Question: I have a LAIV Harmony DAC in route. I plan to use Ultra as a digital prepro & transport as I do currently. I suspect the Ultra's volume control will work, but will its other audio DSP (bass mgmt in particular) also work if I send either USB or coax out to the Harmony? Thanks in advance for your answer.

Greetings Musician. Question: I have a LAIV Harmony DAC in route. I plan to use Ultra as a digital prepro & transport as I do currently. I suspect the Ultra's volume control will work, but will its other audio DSP (bass mgmt in particular) also work if I send either USB or coax out to the Harmony? Thanks in advance for your answer.
Welcome.

DSP is applied to all outputs except bluetooth.

I'd hope so too - it's not a particularly cheap bit of kit!
Enjoy!
You speak the truth, but it's all relative on my audiophile journey. It's not hard to pay a lot more for a DAC than the Harmony but I cannot tell a lie: My finger definitely hovered over the enter key for a minute before pressing the order button. To compound matters, the Ultra sounds unexpectedly good in my rig as is. I have a bit of insurance though: A 30 day return option on the Harmony if necessary.

Just tried my ultra using phono and notice a continuous popping or clicking. It's not audible when playing something loud ish like pop or rock, but turning the amp vol up when nothing is playing and it's very noticeable, much louder than hum or hiss that you'd get with cheaper analogue phono preamps.

Love to know how the dac sounds when you get it up and running. That’s a serious dac. Thinking about getting one.

Some expensive options once you start searching, even from Topping.

I'm intent on doing this as cheap as practical so a pair of V3s are on their way.
A very cheap option is to use a s/h AV receiver which can bypass the pre amp. I know Arcam AV's could do this.

Back