WiiM Ultra as DDC?

KOBA

Tried hard drive to Ultra. Scan did not pick up all my library. Most albums had one or two songs on them only.

Can i use the WiiM Ultra as a DDC between my PC and my tube Dac and that sound superior than my pc->chinese usb to coax converter->tube dac.
The tube dac is a cd redbook resolution only. Which clock would it use in this set up?
Toslink is the only way? My HP all in one does not have toslink out. Only usb. Does this mean i would require 2 DDCs? One for usb to toslink and then wiiim ultra coax out to tube dac? Is that better or worse for the chain?
Can i not just use a usb adapter on the WiiM?
1725290886232.png

Another question: My thinking is having the sub connected to the WiiM instead of my tube preamp so i can always use it for room correction on 100-200hz and below for both movie playback as well as my music from PC playback, but at that point it won't be a bit-perfect signal coax out to my tube dac? No point in having a non oversampling dac at that point?

Tried hard drive to Ultra. Scan did not pick up all my library. Most albums had one or two songs on them only.

Can i use the WiiM Ultra as a DDC between my PC and my tube Dac and that sound superior than my pc->chinese usb to coax converter->tube dac.
The tube dac is a cd redbook resolution only. Which clock would it use in this set up?
Toslink is the only way? My HP all in one does not have toslink out. Only usb. Does this mean i would require 2 DDCs? One for usb to toslink and then wiiim ultra coax out to tube dac? Is that better or worse for the chain?
Can i not just use a usb adapter on the WiiM?
View attachment 11186

Another question: My thinking is having the sub connected to the WiiM instead of my tube preamp so i can always use it for room correction on 100-200hz and below for both movie playback as well as my music from PC playback, but at that point it won't be a bit-perfect signal coax out to my tube dac? No point in having a non oversampling dac at that point?
Opinions might differ , but for soundquality reason I would stay away from any PC - they are noisy as hell.
A harddrive directly to Ultra should work as smooth as a computer ( or smoother, because you can use it from listening position ) . It should also not miss any tracks.

You have to tag the flac files in the correct way.

Opinions might differ , but for soundquality reason I would stay away from any PC - they are noisy as hell.
A harddrive directly to Ultra should work as smooth as a computer ( or smoother, because you can use it from listening position ) . It should also not miss any tracks.

You have to tag the flac files in the correct way.
I can see the argument for that. With only 1 usb, i could not use another usb dac in the future, but i assume the idea here is getting away from usb altogether.

I thought it might be a tagging issue. My first thought was there is no way i'm going through my entire library to manually fix tags. I have to believe there's got to be some auto tagging solution? I use JRiver. Can that do it?

I am trying to use my usb only non oversampling Mojo Audio dac from the usb output of the Ultra, but i am not getting any sound and i see no option to select usb output. Only Line Out, Optical Out, Coax Out, Headphone Out, Bluetooth out. I've read everywhere that the usb out can go into a usb dac?

Hey! My little usb to spdif converter now works again with my PC and damn! Instantly back to what i remember my dac sounding like. Seems the output is also higher. Cymbals and decay and clear vocals are back. I have no idea if my Ultra is bad, but the coax output, and the usb drive sounded awful in comparison.

Last edited:
I also just tried my usb to spdif converter from Ultra usb out and it is not recognized either. No usb output options in the app showing and it its grayed out on the screen.

I am trying to use my usb only non oversampling Mojo Audio dac from the usb output of the Ultra, but i am not getting any sound and i see no option to select usb output. Only Line Out, Optical Out, Coax Out, Headphone Out, Bluetooth out. I've read everywhere that the usb out can go into a usb dac?

Hey! My little usb to spdif converter now works again with my PC and damn! Instantly back to what i remember my dac sounding like. Seems the output is also higher. Cymbals and decay and clear vocals are back. I have no idea if my Ultra is bad, but the coax output, and the usb drive sounded awful in comparison.
Hi KOBA,

Please connect your USB DAC to the USB output of the Ultra. If it doesn’t appear in the WiiM Home App, kindly submit a ticket through the app. Our engineers will address your issue promptly. Thank you for your assistance.

I'm a little confused.
You say the dac is usb only, but that you also use a usb to coax converter from the pc and that ultra coax to dac sounds bad.

Anyway, to one of the questions, using the ultra as a ddc with usb output, and "dac is a cd redbook resolution only" - right now there's no way to either limit nor fix the usb output sample rate / bit depth.

Last edited:
Hi KOBA,

Please connect your USB DAC to the USB output of the Ultra. If it doesn’t appear in the WiiM Home App, kindly submit a ticket through the app. Our engineers will address your issue promptly. Thank you for your assistance.
Thanks, i have done both of those. Last night, i also started getting clicks and pops during hdmi playback with a movie for the first time. Nothing changed except i did a full range room correction. So i turned off room correction above 200hz like how i had set up before, but the clicks and pops remained, but not as much. Changing to 1v form 2v didn't do anything. I did not turn off Dolby from my tv settings since it had been working fine up before. tv audio settings-bitstream-dolby

I feel i may have a faulty unit. I've seen way too many reviewers with high end systems rave about this unit, but to me it sounds like an mp3 being played through an old car stereo with everything except Dolby movies. If anything i feel it all just kept getting worse? Including the movie playback. Like the quality kept degrading over time. I've experienced crazy burn in changes with V-Cap Odams as well as rhodium plated connectors, but nothing like this with a piece of equipment.
Going back to my computer audio last night to my main Audio Note Dac gave me a sense of relief. The musicality and audio quality jumped back to what im used to. I can not believe it should be that much of a downgrade to use coax out or usb drive or dlna from the Ultra which has been universally praised as a massive bang for the buck.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused.
You say the dac is usb only, but that you also use a usb to coax converter from the pc and that ultra coax to dac sounds bad.

Anyway, to one of the questions, using the ultra as a ddc with usb output, and "dac is a cd redbook resolution only" - right now there's no way to either limit nor fix the usb output sample rate / bit depth.
I have two dacs. An Audio Note tube dac with coax 24/48 max and a Mojo Audio Mystique dac with usb only at 24/192 resolution.

Back