WiiM Ultra launch price

At what price would the WiiM Ultra be a compelling choice without sacrificing value?

• US $349, EUR 379, GBP 349

• US $399, EUR 429, GBP 399

• US $449, EUR 449, GBP 449

• Other - please specify price with currency in the comments

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why is the USD / GBP exchange rate used in the example 1:1 ?
At current rates USD 399 = only £320. We Brits always get penalised by this.

Why is the USD / GBP exchange rate used in the example 1:1 ?
At current rates USD 399 = only £320. We Brits always get penalised by this.
As I said earlier, it's also like that for example when comparing, say echo devices on Amazon USA v UK. You could argue exchange rates, shipping costs, customs, VAT etc but I don't find it unusual. Plus Amazon USA prices often exclude sales tax which I understand vary from state to state.

Hi, I'm new here so hello to everyone.
I'm probably going to write something unpopular, but I think that the Wiim Ultra price of EUR 700 would be acceptable. The condition is good quality acoustic room correction. This requires adequate computing power and this costs money. A device with similar functionality - minidsp SHD with a Dirac Live license costs EUR 1,090 in Europe.
Hi, I'm also new here... but felt compelled to join and cast my vote to see the rankings

Sonos, yamaha and others have room correction capabilities which don't result in a big price jump. Sonos £150 speakers have room correction and have done for many years

It's not only room correction..ok others may have it also.
But it's also about support,the complete software package what you are getting and all the convenience that comes with it on many fronts.
Ofcourse think about a price point also..and then try to compare it to another brand...the choice for Wiim is then very easy to make.

Think about for instance a subwoofer support..its a very easy to set up thing in this manner. I would think Wiim are doing a great job too according to room correction.
Software and good support is even important as hardware.

Hi, I'm also new here... but felt compelled to join and cast my vote to see the rankings

Sonos, yamaha and others have room correction capabilities which don't result in a big price jump. Sonos £150 speakers have room correction and have done for many years
Room correction features are coming to the WiiM Pro, Pro Plus, Amp, Ultra and maybe even the mini at no cost, so perhaps that shouldn’t be factored into the price of the Ultra.

Room correction features are coming to the WiiM Pro, Pro Plus, Amp, Ultra and maybe even the mini at no cost, so perhaps that shouldn’t be factored into the price of the Ultra.
Perhaps not price, but it should undoubtedly be factored into it's value.

I see people state that it's just the amp with the amp section removed, but there are clearly other differences that people should consider when choosing the price.

I would rather pay less for a version without the screen that includes all the connectivity of the Ultra. I love the WiiM as a streaming platform, but I feel the addition of a screen unnecessarily increases the retail price. My phone screen is larger and always in front of me.
Same. I’d rather have a well built unit. Plenty of connections and a quality dac. Screen is irrelevant to me. But unfortunately we live in a Screen crazy world. Look at new cars.

The price should be the same as the Amp price. Pre-amp with better DAC = Amp with worse DAC. It's fair. The screen is useless unless you have an eagle eye. That's a shame that you waste your cost and our money on a feature with no added value.

The price should be the same as the Amp price. Pre-amp with better DAC = Amp with worse DAC. It's fair. The screen is useless unless you have an eagle eye. That's a shame that you waste your cost and our money on a feature with no added value.
Again, I’ll re-iterate what I’ve said about my Linn amp: it has a small screen not for artwork but for large scrolling text display of track details, input source, volume etc which I can easily read from where I sit several metres away, eagle eyeless ;) That has added value to me as might the display on the Ultra be for other users.

Same. I’d rather have a well built unit. Plenty of connections and a quality dac. Screen is irrelevant to me. But unfortunately we live in a Screen crazy world. Look at new cars.
Bummer. Unfortunately the WiiM Ultra will be not well built, features few (and mostly useless) connections and will sport a mediocre (at best) DAC. ☹️
That was it for WiiM's business, unless they come up with a completely reworked device immediately!

Screens could be useful for setups and on the fly status information. As long as it gives the possibility to switch off its ok, but necessary? Its a gimmick, nothing more.

Let’s see what wiim will post on the price they choose. If the majority of vote is 350, that’s where it sets its price. Everyone love Lamborghini for the price of miller.

I voted $399 as I don't think it offers enough value to be more than that over the current AMP. However, at $399 I'd replace the WiiM AMP in my living room that is hooked up to my record player. At $450 I'd just continue using what I have now. I think the $349 should be a WiiM AMP 100-120 watt into 8-ohms version.

Edit: I guess to add... if the WiiM Ultra is replacing the WiiM AMP then I'd say it would need to be priced more aggressively at $349. However, if the WiiM AMP will coexist then what I said above remains true for me.

Again, I’ll re-iterate what I’ve said about my Linn amp: it has a small screen not for artwork but for large scrolling text display of track details, input source, volume etc which I can easily read from where I sit several metres away, eagle eyeless ;) That has added value to me as might the display on the Ultra be for other users.
I understand but don't want to pay for it) I thought that Wiim core idea was to provide the best possible sound for an affordable price. Wiim Mini was the ultimate solution, the both Pros and Amp are also good. I'm afraid that Wiim will lose its advantages adding not necessary things that don't improve sound. I'd rather have no screen, no RC, no metal case, no DAC at all to get the best possible streaming quality for the price or Amp. I think they need more accurate positioning - budget audiophile product or flashy Christmas-tree-like-boombox.

Screens could be useful for setups and on the fly status information. As long as it gives the possibility to switch off its ok, but necessary? Its a gimmick, nothing more.
You could say the same about the remote and the volume wheel on the front.
Most people will control it through the app on their phones, anything else is just a gimmick that raises the price for those who don't want them.

Same with all the inputs and outputs, we only need one of each.

I understand but don't want to pay for it) I thought that Wiim core idea was to provide the best possible sound for an affordable price. Wiim Mini was the ultimate solution, the both Pros and Amp are also good. I'm afraid that Wiim will lose its advantages adding not necessary things that don't improve sound. I'd rather have no screen, no RC, no metal case, no DAC at all to get the best possible streaming quality for the price or Amp. I think they need more accurate positioning - budget audiophile product or flashy Christmas-tree-like-boombox.
I guess you didn't fully get their business idea, then.

Product Vision
We’re committed to offering you high-quality, feature-rich, and affordable audio and smart home products. With our innovative voice user interface, audio streaming technology, a wide selection of music services, patented smart home solutions, feature updates, and more, we hope to bring you products that will enhance your life.
(Source: https://wiimhome.com/)

You could say the same about the remote and the volume wheel on the front.
Most people will control it through the app on their phones, anything else is just a gimmick that raises the price for those who don't want them.

Same with all the inputs and outputs, we only need one of each.
My remarks here are always more general. For my usage and setups the Pro has all (and even more than used) I want and nothing I do not want from a streamer. So it would be ok to write "Hold your fingers still in a thread about a device you are not interested in" ;-)

With the features the Ultra has, even it is priced at the top option, it is still amazing value compared to what is available at the moment from their competition.
People saying it is not worth £x amount because they don't need a screen or DAC etc are deluded, that's not how it works.

Back